64 & 32 bit Windows 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 & 32 bit Windows 7

I see you can now buy a 32 or 64 bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium for from 40 to under 70 on EBay. I presume they are all safe to use.

I assume that although the 64 bit versions will not run any 16 bit DOS software, but like XP the 32 bit versions will run such, even if like some DOS games need the free DOSBOX. Please do not tell me 64 bit software with a 64 bit CPU will run much better and faster. There still seems to very little 64 bit software available, and I certainly do not have any.

Re: 64 & 32 bit Windows 7

They should run in 32-bit Win 7 - with suitable compatibility settings
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/24371...windows_7.html

Do not assume this means all your apps WILL run, though - you may also want to investigate DOSBox http://www.dosbox.com/

If buying from EvilBay, make sure the seller states it is a genuine NON-OEM version (OEM can only be sold with hardware) and it includes the Certificate of Authenticity
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks. While on the subject of OEM, I was suppled with such a Win XP CD with a PC years ago, along with the registrarion number label attached.

But when I came to try to reinstall the XP it refused to acccept the registration details. Was it because you can only install an OEM CD once?

Comment

IIRC Microsoft "deactivated" a large number of XP serials at some point because they were leaked everywhere - that may be the cause

There is not normally any issue with reinstalling - an OEM disk is not physically tied to the hardware (note this is not the same as making hardware changes on a live copy of windows)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks again.

Does that mean if I get the RAM in a PC with Windows XP increased from 256 Mb to 1 Gb, then I will need a new copy of Windows?

Comment

Are you trying to install it on the original machine you purchased it with (motherboard really).
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Yes I might get a shop or a pal to increase the RAM to 1 Gb on and existing PC, because Ubuntu on a separate partition to Windows XP runs very, very slow.

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                Thanks again.

Does that mean if I get the RAM in a PC with Windows XP increased from 256 Mb to 1 Gb, then I will need a new copy of Windows?
                No, Microsoft don't require you to buy a new copy, just to re-activate windows (normally just telling a tele-person you have changed some hardware and they give you a new activation key. Obviously if you did this every week their database might cotton on

IIRC it took 2 or 3 major changes (not RAM or extra HDD) e.g. new Graphics Card, new MoBo before the re-activation triggered. (A P2V would also normally set it off too)
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  an OEM disk is not physically tied to the hardware
                  Microsoft's been making OEM specific CDs for years and years. They look for something custom in the BIOS I think. Sometimes you can't even install it on another model from the same company (e.g. a Dell desktop copy of XP may not be able to be installed on a Dell laptop).

Gordon, what was the specific issue that you had? What was the error?

Comment

I just wanted to confirm that if we are supplied with a an OEM Windows CD, and given the registration serial such as on a Label attached to the desktop, then it should be possible to get the Windows reinstalled on the same PC and authenticated if there is say a PC crash. This seems to be case.

I may have been unlucky in getting the serial details accepted because the supplier stuck the wrong label on the desktop, so I had to buy a new CD from EBay.

Comment

One of the OEMs I worked for years ago had a custom entry in the BIOS that meant their restore CDs only worked on their hardware.
                      If the CD isn't working with the key they gave you and the hardware is the same (pretty much) then I would think the original CD they gave you is likely flawed somehow. I don't believe there is any problem using an OEM CD from elsewhere as long as the key is legit so the CD off ebay is likely ok.
                      cheers
                      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Yes, you are right -- manufacturer specific CDs are normally Bios locked (with degrees of checking -- I have installed Dells Server OS on a Dell laptop without issues.)

I was speaking about the generic Windows OEM (white box) media, but should have qualified my comment
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                          I see you can now buy a 32 or 64 bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium for from 40 to under 70 on EBay. I presume they are all safe to use.

I assume that although the 64 bit versions will not run any 16 bit DOS software, but like XP the 32 bit versions will run such, even if like some DOS games need the free DOSBOX. Please do not tell me 64 bit software with a 64 bit CPU will run much better and faster. There still seems to very little 64 bit software available, and I certainly do not have any.
                          64bit isn't necessarily faster - but it does allow you to access more memory. X32 only allows you to access 3.75GB in total, 64 allows you to access more (I forget how much.)

the 64bit versions may run your 16bit applications, it just depends.

most other software isn't really developed for x64, at least not on the desktop side - which is why you don't really see it much
                          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Are you sure -- it is stated that 64 bit windows will NOT run 16 bit apps
                            (http://superuser.com/questions/14095...it-application for instance)

Memory limit is, in theory 2Tb -- should be enough for anyone
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                              Memory limit is, in theory 2Tb -- should be enough for anyone
                              Is there such a thing???

Comment

Working...
                              X