Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non administrative clients and Print Server

Hello
    In my domain enviroment I have a lot of client Pc's Win 7 enterprise installed, which are not local admins.
    when trying to connect to our Print Server (Win 2k3) they can't install any printer driver.
    Granting Power User to the clients gave nothing.
    Admins can offcourse install drivers. XP users (are'nt local admin neither) can install printer drivers.

any suggestions how do i let the 7 clients permissions for printer drivers)?

Re: Non administrative clients and Print Server

How about pre deploying the drivers using a startup script?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have over 20 printers and over 100 clients. not all clients use the same printers.
      buttom line i"m looking for a way to grant a simple user the abillity to install printer drivers.

Comment

These are the ways which i would consider.
        Deploy the printers via group policy. Then the drivers would be installed automatically. Here is a small video on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kff2kkPAQ94

The pushprinterconnections.exe is quite a good way of doing it too:
        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx

Or a vb script based on group policy addprinters.vbs, the group policy can then be filtered to apply to specific groups, or linked to OU's.

Set objNetwork = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")
        objNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\server\printer"

If none of the above is any good for you then maybe you could add them to local admins group, or create an admin account they logon as to add the printers before u change the password or the account expires.

also if its windows 7 there is a command line utitlity called pnputil.exe i think that you could script this to add all the printer drivers to the driver store so when they come to add the printers then the drivers are already there. (ive not tested this fully yet)

Also I'd be happy to hear any other peoples ideas on users adding printer drivers as none admins to win7 clients.
        Last edited by uk_network; 12th August 2012, 19:41.
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Also, keep in mind,
          • Drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows won't work on computers running 64-bit versions of Windows.

• The Windows 7 drivers for the printer should be available, like added as additional driver on the print server or provided with Windows 7.
            (additionally, having different driver versions on server end and client end (i.e. a mixure of 32 bit and 64 bit drivers) the different drivers should contain the exact same printer name within the driver files).

• The default security settings for Windows 7 allow users who are not members of the local Administrators group to install only trustworthy printer drivers, such as those provided with Windows or in digitally signed printer-driver packages.

more:
          http://www.softwareshelf.com/news/pr...chitecture.pdf
          http://blogs.msdn.com/b/7/archive/20...edentials.aspx

/Rems
          Last edited by Rems; 12th August 2012, 21:29.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
          and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Originally posted by Rems View Post
            Also, keep in mind,

• The default security settings for Windows 7 allow users who are not members of the local Administrators group to install only trustworthy printer drivers, such as those provided with Windows or in digitally signed printer-driver packages.

/Rems
            My company represent in the active directory as a small container, part of a much larger domain, so my access to our group policy is very restricted.
            If we look at the quote above I think it reflex the problem.
            Is there a way to change the "Default security settings for windows 7" regarding the printers permissions?
            I won't give users administrators permissions in any way.

Comment

Working...
            X