Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local accounts and custom default profile

Hi

After reading the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973289 article, I created these two files:

For Windows 7 SP1 32-bit:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
        <settings pass="specialize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x32" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS"
    xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>
            </component>
        </settings> <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim://<computerName>/<Source_dir>/install.wim#Windows 7 <Edition>" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>
    For Windows 7 SP1 64-bit:

Code:
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS"
    xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
            </component>
        </settings> <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim://<computerName>/<Source_dir>/install.wim#Windows 7 <Edition>" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>
    It is possible to merge the two xml files or not?

It is possible to create an xml file also valid for any edition?

In an installation of Windows 7 SP1, there is the install.wim or I must always specify its source path?

I am obliged to enable the Administrator account and configure it or I could use my administrator account, already configured, to run the Sysprep utility?

Thanks

Bye
    Last edited by balubeto; 11th September 2012, 18:07.
    balubeto

Re: Local accounts and custom default profile

There is a lot of content in your few questions so bear with me as I address each question as thoroughly as possible.

Due to the difference in architecture for each version of Windows 7, you will be unable to combine the two XML files and therefore you will need to create a separate answer file for each architecture type you intend to deploy to. This is also confirmed in the TechNet library article Best Practices for Authoring Answer Files under the section “Deploying to Multiple Architecture Types”.

Also, you might be interested in checking out the Windows System Image Manager (Windows SIM) which is a tool included in the Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK) available from Microsoft for free. Windows SIM is the official tool to create answer files, or XML files, with ease. This video from TechNet will walk you through the process of creating an answer file using WSIM. Beneath the video itself are 4 additional videos for the 4 additional steps involved with the deployment process. In addition to the video, there are additional sample unattend files here.

Another resource you may find helpful is the Walkthrough: Build a Simple Answer File from the Microsoft TechNet site. This library article will help explain some of the basic components necessary to successfully build a basic answer file.

In addition to creating an answer file for use with Windows Deployment Server and Windows 7 deployment images, you might also be interested in learning about the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) as it acts as a common console that combines all deployment tasks into an easy to use interface. MDT even allows you to create “universal images” by allowing you to easily add and remove drivers and applications to and from the deployment images.

Also, it is important to know what the CopyProfile setting does specifically and how it is used. The CopyProfile setting copies the settings specified from the default profile in both Windows Vista and Windows 7. In order to customize the default profile, you will need to make your customizations in Audit Mode, and then run Sysprep with an answer file that has the copyprofile setting enabled. With this in mind, I must ask -- why you are referencing the install.wim source path?

One important thing to note is that each time you run Sysprep, Windows is rearmed, or the Windows licensing state is reset. Each system typically has a limited amount of rearms per install so you want to be careful with rearming your system each time. You can review the number of times you can use the SkipRearm setting by running the Slmgr.vbs /dlv command in an elevated command prompt. To avoid this, you can run Sysprep with an answer file that has the SkipRearm setting enabled.

Another great blog article to check out is found on TechNet here. Scott McArthur from Microsoft explains a little more about Sysprep, SkipRearm and Image Best Build Practices.

Finally, as outlined in the TechNet Library article Enable the Built-In Administrator Account for Windows Vista, you can enable the built-in Administrator account during unattended installations by setting the AutoLogon setting to Administrator in the Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup component. This will enable the built-in Administrator account, even if a password is not specified in the AdministratorPassword setting. While the above reference is writing with Windows Vista in mind, it should also be applicable to Windows 7. You also might try Mariano Consentino’s suggestion found in this TechNet forums thread. He suggested also adding a simple command that will also re-enable the administrator account. He provides the command within the thread.

I apologize for the wealth of information but I hope these resources help get you pointed in the right direction.

Jessica
    Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Comment

I created the CopyProfile.xml file:

Code:
      <settings pass="generalize">
      <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
      <SkipRearm>1</SkipRearm>
      </component>
      </settings>
      <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
      </component>
      </settings>
      <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim://<computerName>/<Source_dir>/install.wim#Windows 7 <Edition>" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
      </unattend>
      and I put it in an USB stick.

So, I planned to install Windows 7 normally, install the additional drivers, update Windows, go to audit mode with the c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /audit command, delete the account created during installation, customize the Administrator account. Finally, I run the c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /reboot /generalize /unattend:<USB stick unit>:\CopyProfile.xml command to go into OOBE mode. Right? Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks

Bye
      balubeto

Comment

To answer your question, yes, you will want to install Windows 7 normally. Next, you will boot into audit mode and make all your customizations to the default profile. Remember, in audit mode, you can install applications, add device drivers, run scripts, and test the validity of a Windows installation. Finally, you will run Sysprep with your answer file.

As stated in this TechNet library article, “OEMs and corporations should use audit mode to configure their manual customizations before shipping the computer to an end user.” If you want to customize the default profile and use the CopyProfile command, this is the only recommended method to do so.

Hope this helps!

Jessica
        Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Comment

Re: Local accounts and custom default profile [New]

Hi

Before executing the sysprep /generalize /oobe /reboot /unattend:c:\CopyProfile.xml command, I have to run the "disk cleanup" utility of Windows to delete any unnecessary files or the generalize option already performs ​​this work?

If I copy the CopyProfile.xml file to the c:\windows\panther directory and I renamed it in Unattend.xml, I could remove the unattend option from the sysprep command?

Thanks

Bye
          Last edited by balubeto; 11th September 2012, 18:10.
          balubeto

Comment

Working...
          X