Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i lose data when Upgrading my computer from Win Xp to Win 7 using MDT . can be recove

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i lose data when Upgrading my computer from Win Xp to Win 7 using MDT . can be recove

can plz help if any software can be recovered some data lose after deploy my computer from win xp to win 7 Using MDT 2010 ?

I running MDT Script to Deployment my Desktop have ( win XP +office 2010 )to New Windows Image win 7 && office 2010
    The PST Files don’t restore ( 3 File s ) . The Deployment win7 finish without any error .
    Last edited by mohammed.ahmed; 18th July 2012, 15:34.

Re: i lose data when Upgrading my computer from Win Xp to Win 7 using MDT . can be re

Did you use collect the old user profile as part of the script?

If not, you MAY have a chance to use data recovery tools to access files which have been "lost"when the drive was partitioned. No guarentee of success, though.

Turn the computer OFF (do not shut down, to prevent more being overwritten), remove the HDD and investigate tools to recover data from formatted drives.

Good Luck!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: i lose data when Upgrading my computer from Win Xp to Win 7 using MDT . can be re

As Ossian stated in his response, a good question is did you use the User State Migration Tool (USMT) prior to beginning your Windows XP to Windows 7 migration? A great video on how this process works can be found on TechNet here. There is a step in the Windows Deployment Wizard of the Lite Touch Deployment via MDT that allows you to specify whether to restore user data and settings from a network location.

However, with all that said, it is important to note that as is stated in this TechNet magazine article the original version of the USMT 4.0 doesn’t support Office 2010. There was an update released in February 2011 that adds support for Office 2010. More on what USMT migrates can be found here.

Assuming that the data was not backed up prior and a Windows.old folder does not exist, you will want to refer to Ossian’s response for more information on recovering lost files.

Hope this helps!

Jessica
      Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Comment

Working...
      X