RSAT Tools usage through RDP on Windows 7 Machine that is in a domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSAT Tools usage through RDP on Windows 7 Machine that is in a domain

Afternoon people of the world! Let me describe my problem.............

I am building a Windows Server 2008R2 domain, have 2 DC's and 2 member servers, all machines are 2008R2 and the domain is working fine. We added a Windows 7 machine to the domain to use as an administration workstation for some technical users so they didn't have to log on to a DC to change a password for example.

I installed the RSAT tools on the Win 7 machine and it works very well when logging in locally. When another user (who is a domain admin on the domain and a local admin on the Win 7 machine) logs into the Win 7 PC through Remote Desktop the RSAT tools are not available to them - at all. I've tried to re-install under this users profile, but the machine tells us that the update is already installed and we can't do anything else. It's very wierd and it's beginning to drive me crazy. Why would one user be allowed the tools (AD Users and Computers etc....) and for another it looks like they aren't there at all. The user that can access the tools can make changes to other users in the domain in the usual way that you would expect............

Thanks in advance for any replies..............

TommyG

Re: RSAT Tools usage through RDP on Windows 7 Machine that is in a domain

I have a memory of something similar - will search for a reference

Can they create an MMC and access the tools that way?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'll give that a try right away Ossian, thanks for the speedy response........

T

Comment

Yes, creating a MMC allows you to add the tools. Also strangely if you click on the Start button and type the 1st couple of letters of the tool (act for Active Directory Users and Computers) in the box marked Search Programs and Files then the tools are listed...................

This is a great workaround and I salute you Ossian, be nice if it could be fixed proper though, but in a way, for my purposes this is better...........

Thanks very mcuh

TommyG

Comment

OK, so really all that is gone is the Administrative Tools folder
          Probably a silly question, but have you (for TS logged in user) tried
          Go to start button properties
          Customise
          Check System Administrative Tools IS displayed

??

I'm afraid my memory turned out to be some GPMC options are not available via RSAT, only directly on the DC, so no real help
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

That worked too Ossian, once the Administrative Tolols option was selected then they all appear.

I can't believe I'd forgotten something so simples!

Thanks for your help

TommyG

Comment

Absolutely no problem -- glad you fixed it
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Working...
              X