No announcement yet.

Windows 7 Deployment

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Deployment

Hi there,

I have created a standard Windows 7 image to be used across all the PCs in my office. I am using Clonezilla ( to install this image on our workstations.

Most of our PCs are the same (Dell Vostro 320), but there are a few exceptions. How do I prepare my Windows 7 image for different hardware? Specifically, I am worried about different storage controllers.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Re: Windows 7 Deployment

Sysprep with the /generalize option is used to remove device drivers and return the system to a hardware independent state. This short video shows how to sysprep a computer, and this article gives more information on How Sysprep Works. Using the /oobe option will make it so the first time it boots, you will have to go through the Windows Welcome screens where you select the language, computer name, product key, etc… You can use an answer file to add these pieces of information automatically.

What you were doing is called cloning, but you are now getting into deploying. A proper deployment solution could allow you to keep one image for all your desktops and laptops. I would recommend that you start by reading this article: Step-by-Step: Basic Windows Deployment for IT Professionals. This article walks you through using the Windows System Image Manager (WSIM) to build the answer file. WSIM is included in the Windows Automated Installation kit (WAIK). The article goes on to show you how to create bootable Windows PE media, capture the reference image and deploy it from a network share. One more thing I would add, is that WAIK is a part of the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT).

MDT is a task based deployment solution that allows much greater flexibility in your deployments. There is a great video here on setting up MDT, adding operating systems, applications and drivers. More information on deploying Windows 7 can be found on the Deliver and Deploy page of the Springboard Series on TechNet.

Hope this helps,
    Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro
    Last edited by WinOutreach4; 11th July 2012, 18:57.