Can access Windows share by IP address but not by hostname -

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can access Windows share by IP address but not by hostname -

I have one windows 7 client on a network that consists of 2 windows 2003 servers as domain controllers and a windows 2008 server as a member server. This one windows 7 client developed a problem accessing the shares on the windows 2008 server when using \\server\share. It returns an "access denied" message. All permissions are correct as this pc has been accessing this share for the past 2 years. I confirmed that the permission have not changed. When I access the same share using \\192.168.1.12\share there is no problem.

Even more strange behavior is that when accessing other shares on this same server it lists some of the files and folders contents but not all. Again when I access those same shares using the \\192.168.1.12\ I can view all the contents.

I changed the patch cable and the port on the switch that connect the pc to the network and have restarted the pc several times but the problem persists.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is causing this?

Re: Can access Windows share by IP address but not by hostname -

DNS settings, possibly
    Please
    a) do an IPCONFIG/REGISTERDNS on the server
    b) Post an IPCONFIG/ALL from problem client and a working one
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah, maybe DNS, but I would think it would give you something other than an "Access is denied" error if it couldn't resolve the IP address. Do you use both share and security permissions? Bear in mind that these work off usernames, not computernames, so if it's the same computer, but a different user, check the share permissions for that user (or a group that user is in).

Comment

Sound like a problem with the Client-Side Caching (used by the Offline Files feature).

Try this, logon as an admin and format the CSC database.
        Then reboot and logon as the regular user.

/Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
        X