Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Default administrator account

Hi all,

I have a load of Windows 7 laptops/pc's on a domain and wondered if the general feeling was to leave the default administrator acct disabled and create another local admin (although obviously I realise there will be domain admins as well)

It was my understanding that leaving it disabled and not changing the password allows you to activate it should you need to ??

Open to advice

Thanks

Re: Windows 7 Default administrator account

Yes, but you will need to set a password before you can enable it (default policy setting is for complex passwords)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Windows 7 Default administrator account

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Yes, but you will need to set a password before you can enable it (default policy setting is for complex passwords)
      If it is on a AD Domain, you can GPO off the Password Complexity. However, as "me learned friend" (was in court last week and thought it sounded pompous, hence I used it here) would advise you, this is a very, very, VERY bad idea.

I come from a Novell Netware background initially and the administrator name was just Admin. This was a whole lot easier to type than the alphabet name A d m i n i s t r a t o r so I usually added my own Local Admin account that was easy to type. It also made it easier to explain the different Administrator accounts to the newbies who were not as well versed in the ways of networking as I used to be, especially since the workstation had Administrator as the administrator account name.

Hope that makes sense and apologies if it doesn't. Post back if I have confused you.
      Last edited by biggles77; 22nd June 2012, 18:57.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
      X