Can I write script to configure group policy in Windows7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I write script to configure group policy in Windows7

I want to configure Group Policy In windows7 prgramatically any script will be fine. I searched a lot on google but did not find anything. Basically I want to stop all kind of DV/DVD burning feature, I know there is registry tweak but I don't want to do because I need to login log off.

Please suggest if anyone have solution

Re: Can I write script to configure group policy in Windows7

Is this in a domain or a workgroup?
    And did you look at the existing posts in the forum -- the thread immediately underneath yours (http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=60427) is called "Edit a GPO field from a script"
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

My machines are in workgroup, they are just local users. I tried many scripts but they didn't worked. The last option I have is using UI automation I can mimic the mouse events and simulate the actions but that is not the exact solution I am looking for.
      I want to make it in such a way if I give it to users they just pass argument enable/disable and it performs silently

Comment

So you want users (presumably local admins) to edit their own local policy?
        Why not use the standard tools?

What have you tried, and what hasnt worked?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The RSAT tools with Windows 2008 R2 and 7 provide some scripting functionality:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ee461027.aspx

Comment

If you are just talking about user machines on a local workgroups, why not just script the registry entries. At the end of the day, Group Policy objects just corrospond to registry entires, so if you figure out what the policy changes in the registry, just script em in.

Comment

If you are looking for the setting, it can be found under User Configuration/ Administrative Templates/ Windows Components/ Windows Explorer in the Group Policy editor. It would seem that you have an environment without Active Directory however and you still want to lock this feature out on all systems. As mentioned above, the only way to script the policy would be to script editing the registry. You could save the below as a .reg file and add it to a script:

Code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
              "NoCDBurning"=dword:00000001

Scripting of Group Policy is only available in tools for Active Directory, such as the previously mentioned RSAT and the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) which is a part of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP).

Brandon
              Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro

Comment

Working...
              X