Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder redirect - working but personal folder isnt

Hi all,

Im trying to create a GPO to redirect certain users folders. Ive got My Doc's to redirect along with the favorites etc but one thing I notice which I cant see where the setting is to redirect the personal folder link at the top of the windows button.

Some screen grabs may explain better... So I click on start and username

Which takes me to....

where I thought the redirect would take me to

Which as you can see is on the H: ideally I would like to get the folder redirect to the My Documents within the H:

Also on a side note, although I have redirected Pictures music etc I seem to have duplicates. One in the folder redirect location and the other in the folder of the first imge. Any suggestions as to whats going on please? Thanks
    Last edited by 5habbaranks; 7th June 2012, 09:35. Reason: Apologies for using the incorrect method for posting images.

Re: Folder redirect - working but personal folder isnt

5habbaranks, please use FULL URLs as nobody in their right mind will click on a TinyURL. Alternatively, you can upload the images to your post. Just make sure they are in a compressed format to keep the size down.

Thanks.
    Please check your PM
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I kinda cheated with this one and just removed the link to the personal folder from the start menu. If anyone knows a different method please let me know but for now atleast it'll stop the users storing thier files all over the place.

Apologies again for the incorrect post method previously.

Just to elaborate on this further. Although I managed to remove the access from the start bar there was still the issue of accessing if the user adds a link to the desktop. I have now disabled write access to the root folder using a group policy - so the folders are still visable but the users cant write to them. The lesser of 2 evils
      Last edited by 5habbaranks; 7th June 2012, 12:33.

Comment

Originally posted by 5habbaranks
        Apologies again for the incorrect post method previously
        No apologies necessary but Thank You for your co-operation. Much appreciated.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ok, this may be all messed up coz I've misunderstood, but this is what my setup looks like. I however have manually redirected my Profile from the C partition to the D partition manually. Looks fairly similar.

Where are you redirecting the Folders to? Another partition/drive as in my case or to a Network Drive/Home Folder?

Click image for larger version

Name:	folder-redirection-menu-link.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	466533 Click image for larger version

Name:	folder-redirection-menu-link-documents.jpg
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	466534

Name:	folder-redirection-menu-link-my-documents.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	466535 Click image for larger version

Name:	folder-redirection-menu-link-downloads.jpg
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	466536
          Last edited by biggles77; 7th June 2012, 16:31.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

This is obviously what D:\Users looks like.
            Have you checked the target machine for the Location of the Redirected Folders (in the folders' Properties)?
            This is what my User folder looks like on C:\Users and what was redirected/moved to D:\Users.

Name:	folder-redirection-left-on-C.jpg
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	466538 Click image for larger version

Name:	folder-redirection-now-on-D.jpg
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	466537
            Last edited by biggles77; 7th June 2012, 16:27.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The re-direct points to "Documents" located on the users home directory on the server. The problem as I understand it is that you redirect "My Documents" but this doesnt re-direct the personal folders link (which is at 2 places - located on the start menu and also an icon can be added to the desktop) which takes you to the root of the user names directory - where you see My Docs, Favorites, My Music... Etc etc

I think this is done by design - can I ask you to try it out for me please? As you have re-directed the my docs as per your example in the previous post. Click on the personal folders link on the start menu or desktop and see where you get to.

The reason this could be a problem is the user could potentially save in My Docs and the root of their user folder.

Comment

Working...
              X