No announcement yet.

Standard user write and delete permission problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard user write and delete permission problem

I have a standard user in win 7. seems that standard user is not allowed to write and delete files on C:

I logged in as Admin account and gave the user security permission(to C: partition) as write and delete , but when I applied that, during the process, it gave me some access deny errors, after I took a look at the file permission, write and delete permission were both allowed.

But when I logged in as standard user to check it out, It was the same as before, and user still can't write and delete files on C:

How can I give write and delete permission to standard user for C: root drive?

Thanks in advance,

Re: Standard user write and delete permission problem

Personally, I would ask yourself very carefully why the standard user needs modify permission on the C drive

When changing permissions, you may have hit some files / folders (probably part of the OS) which you as admin do not have ownership of -- you could take control, but might wreck the OS as part it

Can you post a screen shot of permissions on the root of the C drive and perhaps we can troubleshoot a bit more -- I guess some special permissions are stopping the user modifying files, alternatively they could be in a group with a deny permission
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I finally made a folder on c: and gave it proper permission which standard user can write files there.

By the way, thanks for your reply dude !

Not trying to teach your granny to suck lemons (what a bloody silly saying) but you may find it interesting to logon to the machine as an Administrator and have a look at the permission structure.

As a rule, I create TWO accounts for the tossers, err I mean my clients. Obviously an Admin account so they can install software, hardware etc (too hard explaining the right click Run as administrator option) and a Standard User account that I usually call Internet. I tell them if they want to go online to ALWAYS use the Internet account since as a Standard account it doesn't have WRITE permission to Program Files, Program Files (x86), ProgramData and Windows. I explain that this hopefully will reduce the chance of them being infected by the anatomy educational sites that they and their teenage sons tend to visit. After all, those folders are the ones frequently targeted for malware and spyware plus the odd virus or two hundred.

Since Vista this has worked quite well except when "Microsoft Support" calls and tells them they are infected with a plethora of virii and for a fee they will fix their problem.

The creating the folder on C: and giving it, hopefully only Modify permission and NOT Full Control is one way to solve you issue. It is worth noting that the TEMP folder under C:\Users\account-name\AppData\Local\Temp does have Full Control permission for the user.

As an aside, in a school I looked after, the machines were locked down quite tight so the little sh..., the dear little students couldn't install and play games on them. The enterprising sods zipped the file and when it was unzipped on a locked down machine the file opened in the above mention TEMP folder and the game was run with Full Control permissions.

Now that I have finished typing my thesis, I would suggest you read Ossian's first line in his post again and see if they really require that folder. Please post back if you have any questions on what has been mentioned of if I have totally confused you with my spiel.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015