No announcement yet.

Windows 7 Stupid File & Folder Permissions!!!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Stupid File & Folder Permissions!!!

On Windows XP I was able to log in as a standard user & right click Windows Explorer, Choose Run as... & then enter the local Admin details.
    This the ran Window Explorer as an admin & meant I could administer the system as if i were logged into the admin account.
    The main reason i set this up was I had a script which enabled & disabled all the local GPO's which needed to run on the users account but with admin privileges.
    This was brilliant and it worked like a charm until Microsoft changed everything!!!
    The problem I now have is if I'm logged in as the user and run Windows Explorer as an Admin when ever I try to open folders that the user does not have access to it prompts me to log in as an admin again. I have no issues with this, however it then grants full security permissions to that folder for the standard user allowing them to access the folder without even being logged in as an admin.
    Does anyone know why this is or how to stop it?

Re: Windows 7 Stupid File & Folder Permissions!!!

AS Im the sharing type here is the answer:

This happens because the fact that Explorer.exe cannot be elevated the normal Windows Explorer does not see that the user account should be able to access that folder.

It is easy to verify by changing the registry setting “RunAs” to “_RunAs” in:

Good find!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

This has taken me nearly a week to resolve so I hope it helps someone else out and saves them the stress I've had.