Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop hangs on Please Wait screen on logon

Hello All,

I am having issues connecting to a few Win 7 Pro PCs on our network. It gets past the prompt for credentials and then just hangs on the 'Please Wait' screen. I am connecting from other Windows 7 Pro PC (have tried from several) on the same domain, all using RDC version 6.1.7601

This issue can be fixed by just rebooting the PC but then after a while the problem reappears.

There is nothing in the event logs to indicate any errors or connection issues. I can connect using other software such as VNC and teamviewer.

Once the 'Please Wait' issue has occurred, I cannot log on even at the console as it also just hangs on 'Please wait'.

We are using Sophos Anti virus which I have tried temporarily disabling and this makes no difference. We have no extra firewall software, just Windows firewall.

Has anyone come across this before?

Any help would be much appreciated as I have been struggling with this for quite a while.

Re: Remote Desktop hangs on Please Wait screen on logon

does it happen with all user accounts on these PCS ?
    Does it always happen ont he same PCs or is it intermittent ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

Yes it happens with any user account. I have tested 3 different accounts including Domain Administrator.

So far I have seen the issue on two PCs. Only one is used for remote connection as the lady works from home. I tested another in order to see if it was just her PC and it occurred on that one also. You can connect a few times after the PC has been rebooted, but after a while it just hangs again.

Comment

Try uninstalling Sophos's software. Uninstall in the following order:

Sophos AutoUpdate
        Sophos Patch Agent
        Sophos Compliance Agent
        Sophos Remote Management System
        Sophos Client Firewall
        Sophos Anti-Virus

Then try again. We use Sophos, and I have discovered that sometimes disabling a feature is not enough as the associated service is still running.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
          Try uninstalling Sophos's software. Uninstall in the following order:

Sophos AutoUpdate
          Sophos Patch Agent
          Sophos Compliance Agent
          Sophos Remote Management System
          Sophos Client Firewall
          Sophos Anti-Virus

Then try again. We use Sophos, and I have discovered that sometimes disabling a feature is not enough as the associated service is still running.
          Thank you for your reply.

I have now tried completely uninstalling Sophos as you suggested but unfortunately that made no difference. But now I can at least be sure that it is not Sophos causing the issue.

I don't know if this could be related, but there are a lot of Windows Updates errors like the one below.

Log Name: Application
          Source: Windows Error Reporting
          Date: 24/05/2012 10:15:38
          Event ID: 1001
          Task Category: None
          Level: Information
          Keywords: Classic
          User: N/A
          Computer: Computername
          Description:
          Fault bucket , type 0
          Event Name: WindowsUpdateFailure
          Response: Not available
          Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
          P1: 7.5.7601.17514
          P2: 80070bc9
          P3: 61CA813A-7585-442E-A66B-B0D15CE6BDC0
          P4: Scan
          P5: 101
          P6: Managed
          P7:
          P8:
          P9:
          P10:

There is one update that will not install. I have hidden it for now, as I do not believe it is needed. But it is still causing errors. The update is Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable

Could this be related? Could something be hanging due to these problems?

Comment

Perhaps it is a hardware issue. Is the NIC OK on the target PC? Have you tried reinstalling the driver for the card? Does it function normally when logged in locally - any network issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
              Perhaps it is a hardware issue. Is the NIC OK on the target PC? Have you tried reinstalling the driver for the card? Does it function normally when logged in locally - any network issues?
              I don't think it is a hardware issue as there are at least 2 PCs with the same problem. Both are showing the exact same symptoms, including the windows update errors. The systems are identical except one is 64bit and one is 32bit.

Networking is absolutely fine when logged on locally.

Any other ideas? Your help so far is much appreciated.

Comment

I don't know, really. I think that unless someone else here can help, your best bet is to post on Microsoft's forum.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...eneral/threads

Please post the solution when you find it.

Comment

Have you checked your Terminal Services manager to ensure that there are sufficient sessions available? Probably yes but have to ask.

Can you please delete/rename the created profile for the user and retry logging on.

Comment

Thank you all for your input.

Unfortunately, renaming the user profile didn't make a difference.

I have put a call in to Microsoft and am currently waiting for them to call back. I will post back here if they manage to find a solution.

Comment

Try this 'Fix it' here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
                      It tries fixing the issues you have with Windows Update.

Additionally this 'Fix it' is also resetting Winsock - what might solve some 'System Event Notification Service' problems, what could be the cause of the Remote desktop session issues you have.

At what service pack is Windows 7 on these machines?

/Rems
                      Last edited by Rems; 29th May 2012, 22:46.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                      and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                      X