DVD Video not playing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Video not playing

Been looking at this issue for about a week now so open to suggestions.

I have a DVD (aren't I lucky), when inserted into a PC running XP we're prompted with the usual browse/play and both work fine.

On a Vista/7 PC, nothing happens.

I've the same codec and DVD software installed and recall fixing the problem on a Vista PC but can't recall what it was.

Any ideas?

Re: DVD Video not playing

If the PC isn't prompting you, is it simply that auto-insert notification is disabled? Can you manually start your DVD software and watch whatever's on the disc?
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

I cannot even browse the DVD for files and no DVD software will play it. I've tried BSPlayer, VLC and WMP. I've tried deleting the filter entries from the registry, all to no avail.

Comment

What do you do when you try to look at the disk? Do you see any error messages? Have you checked the status of the drive in Device Manager? Are there any events logged in the Application or System Event Logs when you try to browse the contents of the disk?

Delete the device from Device Manager and reboot your computer. The OS should find it and automatically install the drivers. If that does not work then you might need a firmware update for the drive itself.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Just browsing it to see what's on there, its the first thing I did when it didn't autoplay. The disk seems to flicker after the initial insertion, then nothing.

I do get the usual desktop.ini showing ready for burning, but this is normal for non blank DVD, I can just delete it.

DVD is fine in Device Manager and I've performed the uninstall already and rebooted, nothing reported in any of the logs

It will burn and browse Data DVD's fine but I haven't tried a standard DVD Video.

Downloaded the latest firmware from HP and it didn't seem to do much apart from eject the currently inserted DVD.

Bizarre....

Comment

Check that everything is set up properly first by going through this page:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

If it still behaves the same way can you install a different DVD drive in the PC and see if that works?

Comment

Done all that fella, I'm starting to think it's something to do with the format of the disk, it's only really come to light because it won't play on our Tecra A11's (W7), various Vista PC's and another XP PC. It's just finding what's required and why a HP DC7900P (XP) plays it fine.

Comment

Man, that's unreal.

Well, we use external USB DVD writers - they often will allow disks to be read when XP machines et al. cannot read them. You might want to try that as a last resort.

[Edit]
                Also, I have successfully used ISOBuster in the past to retrieve the data from unreadable disks and write it to a new disk. It is cheap and powerful.
                Last edited by Blood; 19th April 2012, 10:25. Reason: Extra info added

Comment

It may be the color of the material used to make the DVD that your info is on, vs what the lasers inside the drives are made of. Not every piece of media will necessarily play in every device because of the change in materials over the years.

how old is the HP device that the disc does play in, vs how old are the drives in the PCs that it won't play in?
                  *RicklesP*
                  MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

I can appreciate that but you might expect backwards compatibility.

The PC the DVD does not work in is 8 months old, Win7

The PC the DVD does work in is 30 months old, XP

Comment

Unfortunately, there are different formats for DVD, and not all DVD readers are created equal. You will find that some DVD's will not play in commercial stand-alone players connected to TV's It is due to the format. This is why I suggested you use ISOBuster. It is great for getting 'unreadable' data off a disk and you can write it to another disk that can be read (copyright permitting, of course).

Comment

Indeed there are, futher from the simple finalisation of a disk to the incompatible -R versus +R issues I've experienced. I've been involved with DVD from the very early days but this issue has been the most challenging to date.

Once I feel I've exhaused all avenues of why it wont play, will be the time to admit defeat.

Comment

Ok, found the issue. The disks readable on XP were created using the UDF format, there are issues with this in Windows 7. One of those things I stumbled upon after interogating a couple of DVD's

Although identified as UDF 2.15 (which shoudn't be an issue, famous last words), both Isobuster and CDroller reported the same format but advised as recoverable.

Onwards and upwards.

Comment

Working...
                          X