files on the network opend read only

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• files on the network opend read only

i have a network and win 7 pro is playing the server,most of the files in the network are only could open by one user and the other users can only open them as a read only,all the files are marked as open files for everyone can someone help me solved that pleas??thenks

Re: files on the network opend read only

What sort of files are you talking about here? I was under the impression that when a file is open, it is locked for editing by the user that has opened it. Other users can open the locked file, but it is marked as read-only. Changes can be made to the file by users that open it subsequently, but the file must be saved with a different name.

Databases are a different matter - multiple users can access and change a database simultaneously.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

most of the files are excel, when one user open the file others can only read it.

Comment

If using Excel 2007, go to Review > Share Workbook, enable Sharing, this way more than one user can make changes to same file at the same time , hope that helps

Comment

@binaanet -- this is normal behaviour!
          @honable_B -- thanks for the tip
          More Excel sharing here:
          http://www.addictivetips.com/microso...s-7-homegroup/
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

honable tnx so much now its working for everybody.good job!!!

Comment

Working...
            X