Office 2010 Hyperlink Look In Causing PC to Hang

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office 2010 Hyperlink Look In Causing PC to Hang

Windows 2008R2 domain with Windows 7 and Office 2010 64 bit. I open MS Word, write in some text, hightlight a word and select hyperlink, when I click the Look In: drop down arrow the Windows 7 circle appears and the PC hangs temporarily.

If I let the circle spin round and round, it usually takes about 45seconds and then the second time I click the Look In, it is almost instant, however if I close MS Word and reopen, I get the same problem again.

My guess is that the Look In field is browsing the entire domain because the Network is shown as drop down and I can see all the computers on the domain.

Question is, has anyone experienced this and what are the recommended solutions? Should I hide the entire network or can I somehow point the Look In field to initially search a specific folder?

Thanks,

Drumms

Re: Office 2010 Hyperlink Look In Causing PC to Hang

in the look-in box, what's the first thing that appears?

I feel like when it starts looking, it can't reach whatever is in there by default..

maybe..
    Bauble > options > Advanced > File Locations.
    See if there's something bad in here.. ?
    Maybe it's trying to open an internet location..?

Could you change the LookIn folder to something like C:\Temp
    Then save and quit word?

(Trying to update normal.dot with this one)
    otherwise, maybe also try deleting normal.dot (or at least renaming it and letting it regenerate)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

The appdata is redirected to a File server so the normal.dotm resides in the \\file1\Redirection\%username%\AppData\Microsoft\T emplates

If I delete the normal.dotm and then load Word 2010, the hyperlink works great. I close Word, reopen it and again the Look In drop down window hangs the PC.

The Look In drop down menu defaults to C:\Users\%username%\Documents

Comment

If I open Word in safe mode ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE" /a) then there is no issue with hyperlinking. So I just need to figure out how to mimic safe mode or what safe mode is removing and Word should work.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Comment

/a prevents addins and global templates from loading.

So - make sure you've got no addins. If you do have addins, It's a problem with that template.
          (Maybe it's taking a while to resolve and connect to the file server.. ?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

As a test, I did the following

Test 1

Windows 7\Office 64 Bit without domain - open MS Word --> Create Hyperlink --> Click the Look In drop down arrow --> Desktop\Computer\Local C\Users\username\My Documents

No Issues, everything works as it should

Test 2

Copied the Normal.dotm from the above PC location of c:\users\%username%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\temp lates to the domain PC redirected location of \\file1\Redirection\%username%\AppData\Microsoft\T emplates

Windows 7\Office 64 Bit with domain - open MS Word --> Create Hyperlink --> Click the Look In drop down arrow --> Word Hangs for 30-40 seconds and then in the Look In drop displays --> c\users\username\my documents but above that displays all the PCs on the network as shown in attached

So from the test, I know I have a working normal.dotm and I know that something in the domain policy or appdata redirect is causing the problem. I think you are right that MS Word or MS Office for that matter may be searching the network for the normal.dotm until it locates it in the appdata redirect folder. So when I open MS Word in safe mode and it bypasses the normal.dotm template, everything works as it should, same as if I delete the normal.dotm template and open word, everything works as it should.

Word knows the appdata folder exists because if I delete the normal.dotm template and open Word and close Word, Word then prompts to create a normal.dotm template which I click Ok too and Word creates the normal in the redirected appdata folder.

So the question is, what reg hack or GPO do I have to change to point the hyperlink default look in search to the redirected appdata folder instead of c:\users\....

Any suggestions?

Thanks again and I appreciate the help.
            Attached Files

Comment

run wireshark and watch what it's doing when it tries to access that niormal.dot file

Comment

Hi,

We fixed the issue by changing our redirection from a GP DFS UNC to a specific drive letter:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\User Shell Folders\AppData [REG_EXPAND_SZ]
                HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\User Shell Folders\Desktop [REG_EXPAND_SZ]

Example

From
                \\DFS UNC\Windows\AppData\Roaming
                \\DFS UNC\Home\Desktop

to

H:\Windows\AppData\Roaming
                H:\Desktop

Regards
                J.
                Last edited by toppster; 6th August 2012, 16:33.

Comment

Working...
                X