Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix Windows7 domain profiles

Good day everyone

I have an interesting question regarding profiles in Windows 7. The scenario is as follow:

A windows7 pro pc is joined to a domain on server DC1 with domain name domain.local with profile user John and profile name John (created in c:\users)
    I disjoin the pc from the domain, format the DC1 server and start the Active directory fresh with the same domain name and DC name (DC1) and username John

I once again join the windows7 pc to the domain with same username (John)
    the new profile is created with profile name john.newdomain in c:\users

How do I fix the profile so John can have all his outlook mail, desktop docs and shortcuts and document on the current profile with the least amount of effort?

I know in XP one can rename profile names etc etc and then it works fine
    Thanks for the help

Re: Fix Windows7 domain profiles

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

The reason the new profile was created is because the user has a completely new SID in the new domain and user profiles are connected to the SID.

If there is data in the old profile then use an administrator level user to copy the data to the new profile.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hallo once again JeremyW
      Thanks for your reply

What I actually mean is, if there's a short way of restoring a person's original profile instead of copying all the documents, pst,desktop etc etc.. manually from old to new profile
      I can only imagine doing this for 50 or 100 pc or so.

In XP, I just logged in with the new SSID and the pc created the new profile.
      Then after a reboot, in the admin account renamed the new profile to (ie.) newprofile.old and renamed the original profile to the newly created profile created by the new SSID
      And voila, there you go. (The only snag is the offline cache csc folder which must be cleaned.)
      But it does not seem to work in 7

Thank you and eagerly awaiting your response
      regards
      Henk

Comment

There are two locations in Windows 7 where user profile data is stored. By default they are C:\Users and C:\ProgramData. You can try copying both and see if that works.
        You can also copy the user profile by going to the System Properties -> Advanced -> User Profile Settings and then copy the old profile to the new profile.

Otherwise I don't know of any method. Maybe someone else will be able to give a more helpful answer.
        Last edited by JeremyW; 20th February 2012, 14:45.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

you cold try user state migration tool
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thank you Jeremy

I have tried the Profile copying in the user profiles tool on system properties but seems to be that the profiles dont want to copy(button grayed out). Only a profile called Default profile. How do you copy the Programdata directory?
            Thanks for the reply.
            I havent tried the user state migration tool and will give that a shot!
            regards
            Last edited by henkl; 21st February 2012, 09:00.

Comment

I have used the file transfer option in Windows7 and it seems to work fine thank you

What is the main difference then between the user state migrate tool and the built in easy transfer tool (or is it the same tool)?

thanks for the help
              regards

Comment

Originally posted by henkl View Post
                I have used the file transfer option in Windows7 and it seems to work fine thank you

What is the main difference then between the user state migrate tool and the built in easy transfer tool (or is it the same tool)?

thanks for the help
                regards
                Its a self explanatory one transfer user profile and the other transfer settings/profile/favorites/documents from one computer to another.

Comment

After you create the 'new' profile (and have C:\Users\John and C:\Users\john.newdomain), reboot the PC, then log in as an admin account and check this registry entry:>

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

delete the profile entry for john
                  change the path for john.newdomain to john

in C:\Users, delete john.newdomain and reset the permissions on C:\John to give john full permissions

Comment

Originally posted by mohammedyusuf View Post
                    Its a self explanatory one transfer user profile and the other transfer settings/profile/favorites/documents from one computer to another.
                    So both transfer the profile...

USMT is an enterprise level tool used to migrate user profiles in bulk, normally when users are getting new PCs in the same domain or moving from one domain to another. It can be heavily automated and customised, and integrates well with products like SCCM or the deployment tools. It will only work in a domain environment.

Easy Transfer is a consumer tool -- it must be run on each PC, cannot be scripted, and supports non-domain members as well. For small numbers of users, it is often the "least administrative effort" option.
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Just as many have suggested, I too recommend using USMT to migrate user profiles. However, in conjunction with that tool, you might want to look into the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) which is a free download from Microsoft. MDT not only combines all of the deployment tools and utilities produced by Microsoft into a single workbench from which you can manage the entire deployment. It is a task based interface that allows you to automate basic tasks, including the migration of user profiles using the USMT tool.

Jessica
                      Windows Outreach Team -- IT Pro

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread.
                        I will investigate further into the USMT

Best regards

Comment

Working...
                        X