Problems with an external hard drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with an external hard drive

Now this is tricky. I'm not sure whether it's the hard drive, the sata-to-usb controller, or the data dock where the hard drive's caddy slides into that causes the problem. It may be the cable that connect the data dock to a sata connector on the motherboard. It may even be the backup software I use causing the problem. Basically every now end then I notice that the backup takes ages rather than the usual couple of hours. I can see the transfer rate at 1MBps levels. Yet, when I cancel the backup and remove the caddy and then slide it back in nothing indicates that it operates in usb1.1 mode which I've seen happening with different drives on some occasions when the sata/usb controller goes wrong. Is there a way of telling what the system thinks that hard drive is whether it's usb1.1 or 2.0? When tested with HD Tune the transfers are as expected. Both my backup programs have the same problem which kind of eliminates them as a suspect. I changed the cable as well to no avail. What else would you suggest?

Re: Problems with an external hard drive

Hi

Have you tried running your backup with your security software disabled? Or, make sure that nothing else is running when the backup is scheduled to run? Have you tested both source and destination drives for errors with HD Tune and also checked your event logs?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Unfortunately the answer is yes in all cases. I suspect that for some reason the system thinks this is the fastest it can write to that drive but I don't know how to verify this

Comment

What is the make/model of the drive you are backing up to?

Comment

It's a 500GB WD drive in a Lindy caddy. The drive was tested properly outside of the caddy and shows no issues. Problem is that it doesn't do it every time. So when I run my tests it's fine as well as most of the time when it does the backup.

Comment

Make sure you are using the latest driver for the drive.

Try the following too:

1. Open "My Computer" or "Computer" from your (Start) Menu or Button.
            2. Right-click the external Hard disk drive from the list and select "properties"
            7. Click the "Hardware" tab.
            8. Highlight the drive your having problems with from the drive list and click on "Properties".
            9. Click on the “Policies” tab.
            10. You will see two radio buttons - "Optimize for quick removal" and "optimize for performance".
            11. If not selected, select "Optimize for performance" and click on "OK". If running Vista or Windows 7 also check "enable write caching on the disk".
            12. Click on "OK" and exit.

Taken from

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic...s-reallly-slow

Read throught the entire thread - the opposite worked for one person (so they say), but you might glean something useful from it.

Comment

I was thinking about it but the problem is it's not always me who changes the drives and thinks may get wrong if I set this policy and someone removes the drive while the backup is running.

Comment

Can't you let people know the drive is in use?

Can you check the settings, change them if required, and see if it helps?

Comment

I'll set it up as you suggest and leave it for a while to see what happens. Thanks for your help

Comment

You're welcome. Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Working...
                    X