Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automate Software Updates in Windows 7 Pro

Hello,

In my network I have 50 users, mostly using a PC or laptop with Windows 7 Pro. In the past I had some problems with users installing illegal software on their workstations, so now I blocked the ability to install anything.

I didn't use a GPO to do this. On each computer I add the user to the local Power Users group. Then I leave the User Account Control to standard. When something needs to install on the computer, the user gets prompted for admin credentials.

The problem is that there are serveral standard programs installed on every computer, that need to be updated once in a while. Think about Adobe Acrobat Reader, Flash Player, Java.... Is there a way to update these programs automaticly in the background? Or should I just disable update for each program? For the users it can be pretty annoying sometimes to see the update pop-up all the time.

Re: Automate Software Updates in Windows 7 Pro

Do you have a domain?
    If so, you could restrict installs using an AppLocker Group Policy and apply updates using software installation GPOs

You could also set up WSUS to handle windows updates
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I installed WSUS to solve my problem. I didn't know that WSUS handles non-microsoft software updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Svenster View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I installed WSUS to solve my problem. I didn't know that WSUS handles non-microsoft software updates.
        It doesn't. You'll need another patch management solution for Non-microsoft like KBOX for instance but they are not free.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
        X