Target account name is incorrect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target account name is incorrect

In my comapany I have about 15 laptops with different operating systems. They al can connect from outside the company to the LAN using VPN. The VPN is configured on a SBS 2003 machine using Routing and Remote Acces. Users can access the fileserver and a SharePoint server without any problems, except 1 laptop.

This laptop runs Windows 7 Pro x64. The user is able to setup the VPN and using the SharePoint server, but is having trouble connecting to shared folders on a particular fileserver (win2k3 std). The error message is "Target account name is incorrect". Below some facts about the problem and some things i've tried allready to solve it.

- I migrated te shares to another server running win2k8 R2 std. This fileserver runs instead of the old win2k3 fileserver and has the same hostname and IP address.

- I removed the laptop from the domain, gave it another computername and then joined it to the domain again.

- The problem occurs only at the home of the laptops user. When he connects from another location, even from another country everything works fine. But, when he tries it from home with another laptop (my laptop, his own useraccount) that is in the same domain, it works fine.

I'm out of options here, so any suggestions are more then welcome!

Re: Target account name is incorrect

- what IP range does your work network use
    - what ip range does your vpn network use ? )is it the same as above?)
    - what ip range does the employee's home network use?

i'm suspecting they'll be the same somewhere.

also, what's the name of your file server? Is it possible that he has a device with the same name on his network at home ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Svenster View Post
      In my comapany I have about 15 laptops with different operating systems. They al can connect from outside the company to the LAN using VPN. The VPN is configured on a SBS 2003 machine using Routing and Remote Acces. Users can access the fileserver and a SharePoint server without any problems, except 1 laptop.

This laptop runs Windows 7 Pro x64. The user is able to setup the VPN and using the SharePoint server, but is having trouble connecting to shared folders on a particular fileserver (win2k3 std). The error message is "Target account name is incorrect". Below some facts about the problem and some things i've tried allready to solve it.

- I migrated te shares to another server running win2k8 R2 std. This fileserver runs instead of the old win2k3 fileserver and has the same hostname and IP address.

- I removed the laptop from the domain, gave it another computername and then joined it to the domain again.

- The problem occurs only at the home of the laptops user. When he connects from another location, even from another country everything works fine. But, when he tries it from home with another laptop (my laptop, his own useraccount) that is in the same domain, it works fine.

I'm out of options here, so any suggestions are more then welcome!
      Please check network settings on windows7 . Is it selected to Home/Work/Domain or public and make sure print and file share is enabled as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mohammedyusuf View Post
        Please check network settings on windows7 . Is it selected to Home/Work/Domain or public
        You could actually be on to something here. If the network profile is incorrectly set for that particular network, it may prevent file sharing.

and make sure print and file share is enabled as well.
        Not as likely with this though, as FPS works in the office.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I solved the problem. It was actually pretty simple, and I feel stupid that I didn't check this before.

When the user connects to his wireless home router, the laptop gets exactly the same IP address as the fileserver in the company's LAN.

That explains everything......

Comment

Working...
          X