Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping A Windows Patch

Hi,

Does anyone know how to stop a Windows patch occurring automatically?

We have a bespoke application at work (you know serves 15,000 plus people of which maybe [guess] 2,000 are Win 7 users) and it gets broken by MS patch KB2585542. Unfortunately the company initially let the patch through so it installed and broke the app ... if I uninstall it the app works again but now I can't stop the patch from re-installing automatically and that's what I want to stop.

Obviously, with the numbers of users involved, and an application team that is largely a law unto itself, I can do nothing about the application (it's a key corporate app that everyone has to use) and my current solution is to constantly "sleep" the machine rather than shutdown but I'd like to know if there is a way of stopping windows from updating a particular patch.

Thx

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Stopping A Windows Patch

If you are deploying through WSUS, just block it there
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      If you are deploying through WSUS, just block it there
      No I'm not ... I have no control over the corporate WSUS.

Keke

Comment

You can hide or make the Desktop to ignore the patch from getting into the PC after uninstalling it.

Comment

Well, that depends on how WSUS and update policies are configured

Kyuuketsuki, it sounds as if you need to speak to the WSUS team -- if their patch is affecting 15000 users, something needs to be done!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Kyuuketsuki, it sounds as if you need to speak to the WSUS team -- if their patch is affecting 15000 users, something needs to be done!
            I agree with you Ossian, if its more than 15,000+ users then they have to do it through the WSUS. But I assumed that its just a single PC or Server which serves to multiple users. if that is the case then it can be hidden on that PC or server which has the Application, maybe i am wrong.

Comment

Well, as I said it's 15000 plus users of which only 2000 or so are Windows 7 users (and that was only a guess). All they've done so far is say don't install it and that seems to be too late in my case coz Windows seems to have a mind of its own

Keke
              Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 16th January 2012, 17:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
                Well, as I said it's 15000 plus users of which only 2000 or so are Windows 7 users (and that was only a guess). All they've done so far is say don't install it and that seems to be too late in my case coz Windows seems to have a mind of its own

Keke
                That my friend is the Group Policy which has a set time to install the patches in the desktops.

It is better, as Ossian suggested, to get together with your WSUS and GPO team to resolve this issue.

Regards,
                Norbert

Comment

Working...
                X