Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horrid network transfer speeds.

Stay with me on this one.

I have two Dell laptops (E4300s) both are substantially similar. I will organise exact specs if you want them. One has 4GB, the other has 2GB. I will refer to them as "larger" and "smaller" based on the memory.

I also have a linksys wrt54G, with DDWRT Firmware. The two laptops are connected over a WPA2-AES network. No mac restrictions, etc. I've actually pretty much ruled out the wireless network, but you get the whole store.

The smaller laptop is conected to the TV. The larger laptop usually lives on the desk. Large is running win7, small was running ubuntu, is now also running win7.
    I observed, while streaming media from Large to Small, that the files would jitter, or stop. This annoyed me. So I tried copying a file, to observe getting around 300K/sec.
    Ok.. So I did some research, figured it was a known bug with the wifi card and driver with linux, so gave up and put win7 back on.

All drivers, bioses etc, are up to the most recent version. Windows patches aren't on the Smaller laptop, but because the same problem happened when it was linux, leads me to beleive it's not related to that.

Fast forward to now. Same scenario. File transfer woefully slow, streaming media pitiful. So I started playing with wifi settings. I managed to get it up to about 1.1Mb/sec when transferring files. Not good enough, said I. I want my 54Mb.

Fairly convinced it's the router, I've reset it all to defaults, disabled all the services so it's doing nothing but Wifi. Same thing. We're fairly sure at this point that a new router is in order, but damned if I'm gonna do that.
    So I tried it with authentication off. Same thing. With me so far..? Not the wireless. Or if it is, it's truely hammered.
    The only thing I have't done with the wifi, is try an Adhoc network. (Which would probably work at 802.11n because they are both n cards)

So, what I did now?
    Disabled all the wireless adaptors. Connected the two laptops directly. Acheived basically the same speed (although it did limit the speed to 10Mb, probably cause I don't have a proper xover cable)

Right. Next step: cable both the laptops to the router. Both connected at 100Mb/sec.
    Try the file transfer.
    Same thing - about 1.1Mb/sec.

So now, I'm fairly sure it's to do with disk threshold. I'm just wondering where to start looking....
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: horrid network transfer speeds.

i';ve now tried the things like "netsh heuristics disable" and "netsh autotuning disable"

I've also tried streaming from Smaller to Larger, etc, to see if that makes a difference (I've seen strange scenarios, where pull-copying from one machine to another works differently to push-copying)

However... I'm now thinking.. I've got x32 on one lapto, and x64 on another. Does anyone think this may make a difference ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

i did some other tests today, and found the following:

If i take both laptops, and connect them to the internet, and download the same file, from Aaarnet (or other suitably fast internet mirror site)
      The Larger laptop, gets stuck at about 300KB/Sec.
      The smaller laptop goes up to 1MB/Sec easily.
      I did them at the same time, and separately.

So, that leaves me with someone being wrong with the larger laptop.
      The next step will be to take it to some other sites, and test similar things.

Comment

Hard to guess if HW or SW related but have you tried resetting the TCP stack.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

yea.. I did that as well..

Comment

Is IPv6 disabled?

Comment

The E4300's are supposed to use high performance disks. Have you tried booting to Dell's diagnostics utility and running a comprehensive disk check?
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Have you considered my hobby horse; anti virus scanning the network traffic? As I am sure you know, this can slow the traffic speed substantially.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

ip6 has been disabled since forever.. I haven't booted to the diags cause I don't have them any more, but i will try that tomorrow.

There's definitely no antivirus scanning the network.. :P

I've just removed hte tickl from QoS in network config for this interface.. and.. strangely.. it seems to have worked..

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                    I haven't booted to the diags cause I don't have them any more, but i will try that tomorrow.
                    There's diags onboard all Dell laptops as part of the BIOS. Hold down Fn and press the power button, you'll see "Diagnostic Boot Selected" and then you'll go into the PSA (Pre-Boot System Assessment) diagnostics. Not as advanced as the diags on the partition but still useful.

I keep a copy of the diags on a bootable USB key, also handy for BIOS flashes etc.
                    Last edited by cruachan; 13th January 2012, 00:46.
                    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X