Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluetooth Keyboard - Have to wait for it

Hi guys,

I've been trying to find a fix for this but can't seem to see one.

I use a "Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000" and a USB bluetooth adapter to connect my keyboard to a Windows 7 Ultimate System. (That being said, I also have the same model keyboard on an XP machine as well and it behaves the same as the Win 7 system).

After I turn on my computer I have to wait for about 30 seconds once I get to the login screen before my keyboard will be usable, it drives me nuts. If I sit at my computer and press any of the keys regularly during the boot up process it's ready to go as soon as I get to the login screen.

This delay also happens when I've been away from my computer for some time. I'm guessing bluetooth may have a sleep setting or similar when not used for a while?

Is there any way I can configure my bluetooth keyboard to be ready when it gets to the login screen w/o having to sit there pressing buttons during boot up?
    Can I disable or extend the sleep behaviour if I'm away from my computer for a longer period of time?

To be honest, it is a cheap bluetooth dongle I got off eBay, and if you are convinced that buying a more expensive one will resolve the matter I'll go ahead and do that. I have a feeling, however, that it's not to do with that.

All help will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks!
    I've been using this online backup for all my photos, docs, spreadsheets, powerpoints & emails for years now & it works great.
    Go Here for their free 5GB: http://www.idrive.com/p=gavamm
    I upgraded to the Personal Plan for peace of mind for not much more than a cup of coffee.

Re: Bluetooth Keyboard - Have to wait for it

I would switch from a bluetooth to a regular wireless keyboard and see if it does the same thing, if it doesn't, use a regular wireless keyboard.

I use the wireless keyboard that comes in combo with the m510 wireless mouse that both pair to a single mini usb receiver, and I don't have that issue.

Unless your keyboard over bluetooth has some unknown to me benefit.
    "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Thanks for your reply Managor.
      I was formerly using a MS wireless desktop & it did not have this problem.

I've actually found quite a number of complaints about this in other forums now too.

The reason I want to use this keyboard is for ergonomics, it allows me to have my mouse right near my body which is far better than stretching out away from the body to use a mouse.

I've found a partial work around, tapping a key only once & waiting usually reconnects the device in about 2 seconds which is fine. Pressing multiple keys seems to cause the device reconnection to lag considerably.

Still no fix for the boot up though, what a pain for such an expensive & well designed keyboard.
      I've been using this online backup for all my photos, docs, spreadsheets, powerpoints & emails for years now & it works great.
      I upgraded to the Personal Plan for peace of mind for not much more than a cup of coffee.

Comment

Dear Microsoft,

Your super expensive keyboard connectivity sucks.
        Please fix.

Thanks.

Comment

Does this really help?
          (and if it does, consider approaching one of the official Microsoft forums)

Have you updated your drivers?
          Have you seen (and tried) this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-502436a7e924
          Have you tried a different BT dongle (was one supplied with the KB?)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Fair point, probably not.. helped me feel better though ;P

Thanks for your comments, however this issue is bigger than just me, I know 2 others who have the same keyboard and have the same problems, one is a Dell desktop user, the other is a laptop user with built in bluetooth, and there are forums scattered everywhere posting the same issues.

Fortunately for the laptop user it comes with a built in keyboard, as for me I have a 2nd keyboard (MS Wireless 2000) sitting next to my desk just to be able to log in instead of waiting.

Turns out I figured out that if you single press a key (when k/b has been idle for a few mins) the keyboard comes back after about 2 seconds. Pressing a key multiple times seems to substantially delay the process. Sry, I just realised I forgot to post this result on this forum in addition to the one below.. but the logging on issue is still the bane of my computer startup.

Drivers are up to date.

Thanks for the link, unfortunately it doesn't resolve the long wait at boot up.

Yep, posted the same question on the MS forums here, no answer:
            http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...a-57e54b07e3d3

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X