Win 7 Search Function

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 7 Search Function

According to MS, WIN + F3 with Explorer closed searches the entire computer.

I searched for WinApp2.ini with WIN + F3 with Expl closed, and in a split second, it said "no results found". That's five drives.

I then searched from the upper right-hand box with Explorer open to C:, which is supposed to search only C;. It took 10 seconds (searching only one relatively small drive) to tell me the same "no results found".

Any explanations why it takes Search sooooo much longer to search only ONE drive...?

I find all MS forums (including MS's "Answers") have lots of users complaining about the same thing and trying to help each other by guessing at solutions, but no bona fide answers from MS. Is there any place where one can get an answer from MS?????

Re: Win 7 Search Function

Originally posted by janetb View Post
    According to MS, WIN + F3 with Explorer closed searches the entire computer.
    Please provide the link that gave you this information. Is it information officially published by Microsoft, or by someone claiming to be affiliated with them, or... ?

Is there any place where one can get an answer from MS?????
    When I Google "contact microsoft", I get a few clues...
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Which Explorer are you referring to, Windows or Internet?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        Please provide the link that gave you this information. Is it information officially published by Microsoft, or by someone claiming to be affiliated with them, or... ?...
        1. Sorry. CORRECTION: In my original post, replace [WIN + F3] with [WIN + F]. Everything else in the original post stands as is.

The point is that WIN + F opens a new WExplorer search page window with no navigation pane. It searches the entire computer.

This 'hint' surfaces regularly in forums. WIN + F is the only way I know of that you are offered a larger number of filters for your search that you can click on, as opposed to having to know what they are as well as the proper form to type them in. Many people have complained that if you search from the upper right hand corner search box in WExplorer (as most people usually do), your only offered filters are 'Date Modified' and 'Size'. But if you use WIN + F, you get Kind, Type, etc. I have found all the above points to be true as regards my Win7 Search function (although for some reason, I have stopped getting the 'Kind' filter lately....).

2. While we're here, does anyone know how to search in TWO (of five) drives on on a Win7 computer with Win7 search function?

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        When I Google "contact microsoft", I get a few clues...
        If you follow the clues, I think you will find that you must pay for MS support. Or face the phenomenon to which I referred earlier: to go to a user forum where the MS reps who occasionally put in a word always put in rote answers which never answer the question (they use the exact same post for many threads). It always amazes me how many posters keep rephrasing the question to clarify for the MS rep why his post does not answer the question, and everyone is dumfounded when the rep keeps reposting the same post that everyone has already seen on other threads....

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Which Explorer are you referring to, Windows or Internet?
          Windows Explorer
          Windows 7

Comment

Ok, I just tried WinF3 - and Firefox pulled up it's search bar.

Same thing occured in internet explorer. so I suspect WinF3 within an application will search within that active window. (I haven't tested with Word etc)

I then went down to the deskto pand did WinF3 and it bought up a search window like you described. I chucked in my name, and it returned data almost immediately, from an array of drives.

I tried a search in the same window fo r*.ini and got same thing - nothing immediately.
            Then I went into Explorer, and put *.ini in the upper search bar like you described.

It took a few seconds, then came back with about 5 responses, and said "Searching may be slow as location is not indexed"

So I'd suspect it's somethig to do with indexing..
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

If you follow the clues, I think you will find that you must pay for MS support.
              Correct, Microsoft charge for support calls. However you asked how you could get in touch with Microsoft, which is the information I therefore provided.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

If you have a TechNet or MAPS subscription you get 2 FREE support calls each year and a 20% off any over the initial 2. Much to my dismay in the 13 years since I got my first TechNet for free, I have never had the need to avail myself of these free calls.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It does not searches the entire computer. By default by pressing Windows logo key +F, it searches all of the folders in your personal folder (which includes Documents, Pictures, Music, Desktop, and other common locations), e‑mail, and offline files. If you commonly store files in different locations, you can add those locations also to Indexed Locations. Using the index is what making the seach action fast.

When you would select the location, drive or directory the window changes to a regular Windows Explorer panel and start seaching from that location. This wil take longer because it is not using an index.

/Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                  and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

I gave up on Windows 7 search and now use a third party utility that looks similar to the XP one ... classic XP search for Windows 7.

Comment

REMS has the answer - you need to add locations to the search index, and if you start a search from a non-indexed location you are prompted if you wish to add it to the index.

Regarding third-party solutions, I have been using SearchEverything for several years. It only works with filenames, not file content. It indexes my c. 2TB of data within a minute, creates a database, and when you search you get instant results. It also updates in real time. I can't recommend this enough. And.... it's free.

http://www.voidtools.com/
                      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                      X