Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to Win 7 Pro from a pre installed computer with Win 7 Home

Dear Members,

I upgraded some of my laptops that already came with Win 7 home pre installed on them. I used any time upgrade key to update them to Win 7 pro, after upgradation online activation is required for Win 7 Pro which is also completed sucessfully on all laptops.

NOW for example if after some time I discard any of my old laptop and do not use it any more, get another new one which is also with Win 7 home pre installed, How can use upgrade license key of Win 7 pro from discarded laptop to make it on new laptop.

Awaiting your reply for the same.

Thanks,

Re: Upgrading to Win 7 Pro from a pre installed computer with Win 7 Home

AFAIK once you have used an upgrade key, you cannot use it again on a different PC (I presume an OS reinstall would allow you to reuse it on the same machine, but I have never tested that.)

As usual, the only authoritative answer will come from microsoft and they may have a mechanism where you can roll back an anytime upgrade.

Don't know if this is any help:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/u...5-57af3da467ae
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well microsoft allows use of same key after few number of days I guess 15 days.

Have you tried using thekey again ? if not give it a try and I am sure it will go successfully, but if you are using same key on multiple computer at the same time it will be violation of their Terms of license

Comment

Do you have a source for this reference please?
        Specifically, your source should outline where it is ok, under microsoft's terms, to use an upgrade licence key, on a different computer, once you have used it.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

It may also be tied to the way the original OS was installed. For example, although you get Windows pre-installed on Dell machines, the installation is tied to that machine and you cannot use the installation media to 'transfer' the OS to a new computer. This is set by Microsoft, not Dell. I wonder, therefore, if upgrading an OS, depending on how it was originally licensed, also ties the upgrade to a single machine?

I could be completely wrong about this....
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood
            the installation is tied to that machine
            Just to clarify further, the OEM version is tied to the motherboard. Change the HDD, NIC, RAM, Video or CPU and you can still use operating system but change the motherboard and you are required to purchase a new operating system.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X