Installing Printer from print server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Printer from print server

On my Windows 7 PC's, I'm having issues installing a printer from a print server as a non-admin user. Server 2k8 print server, \\server, then right-click on the printer, and choose Connect, gets 'Access Denied'. I have configured a GPO to disable the point and print options as others have suggested, to no avail.

Now, i created a test user, logged onto a Win7 x64 PC, and was able to install that printer no problem. What am I missing? x86 XP PC's can install it no problem.

Thanks.

Re: Installing Printer from print server

Check out 2Tall's answer and see if it helps you.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...4-1adf33d9744d

... particularly the part about allowing users to install drivers.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thank you. I went through that thread, and tried everything mentioned, still having same issue. GPResult shows that the policy is being applied, yet when i try to connect to that printer, it asks me if i trust the print server, then says access denied.

Comment

Are the permissions on the printer itself as it appears in the Print Server correctly set?

Comment

Yep, the right groups have the 'Print' permission.

Comment

So it's directly related to the driver install. When logged as the user, i ran a command prompt as an admin, and connected to that printer. it installed the drivers for it, i was then able to connect to the printer via \\printserver\printer with no issue. Now where did I miss the allowing users to install print drivers?

Comment

Staff that use our Win7 machines and install printer drivers for printers on a print server on a 2008 DC have no problem with this - but I made sure that the install driver priviledge was set in GPO. I don't know what else to suggest.

Comment

Check also out the replies here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...=1321381066590
                (for this solution you may also have to check port tcp 445 is open).

/Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                X