Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Embedded Standard - same image on multiple Thins

Hello,
    I have to deploy 15 Thin clients. They need access to 1 site only - Intranet.
    They running Windows 7 Embedded Standard.
    I decided even not to join them to domain.

1. Locked down my golden template box using local computer GPO.

2. Captured the image using HP Device Manager (and local utility).

3. After restore I have few shortcuts on task bar that where properly hidden with GPO and not appear in Golden template. Declared the problem to HP. 2 month no solution. As alternative tried Acronis Snap deploy that is capable to reinitialize the SID of target box. The same heck... So it looks like Windows behave...

My question is not about troubleshooting the above problem.

I captured the image of golden template box with Acronis. And deploy it on 14 Thins. Sure the boxes have unique names.
    I don't see any problem if non domaine machines will be connected on the same network but want to ask forum opinion.
    There are big noise about changing SID utility that we all used during years.
    Mark Russinovich (SID change utility author) explains that it was unnecessary utility. And people saying that this was the only "cure" for connecting identically imaged machines on the same Domain.
    My situation is simpler the machines are not in the domain.

Do you see any potential problem?
    Thx.
    Last edited by mla; 8th November 2011, 17:06. Reason: typo
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: Windows Embedded Standard - same image on multiple Thins

I don't really see an issue - these are locked down thin clients, with no network access, and no way to even try and talk to each other.

The only area you may have an issue (and newSid doesn't deal with this anyway) is if you have wsus configured.
    I found when I was ghosting workstations, that I needed to do wauactl /resetauthorization or something like that - there's a process around somewhere about how to do it.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Windows Embedded Standard - same image on multiple Thins

they will not be added to wsus gpo.
      Thanks.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

Working...
      X