Windows 7 often crashes when hibernating or waking up from hibernation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 often crashes when hibernating or waking up from hibernation

I recently upgraded a box from Vista Business to Windows 7 Ultimate SP1. It is a client in an SBS 2011 domain. It works without problem when I use it, but much of the time when it goes into or comes out of hibernation it crashes. It will sometimes prompt for a system restore; sometimes will prompt to try an automatic repair which does not work, sometimes wakes up from hibernation briefly and then reboots, and sometimes indicate that Windows did not shut down normally and give the option for a "safe mode" start up.

I always start it in normal mode and it works just fine until the next hibernation. I never had any problems with this box (Intel Core 2 - 1.86GHZ, 2 Gigs of RAM with 20 Gigs of free space on the hard drive) in the 2 years I've had it with Vista Business.

Any ideas?

Re: Windows 7 often crashes when hibernating or waking up from hibernation

Have you tried disabling hibernation, deleting hiberfil.sys and updating / rebooting a couple of times (and maybe defrag your C drive), then re-enabling it?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It sounds like harddisk problem but I may be wrong. There is no hard checking the harddisk at this moment before taking any more action.

Comment

I would definitely consider the dchkdsk like mohammed suggested. I'd follow that with a memcheck.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Double check your drivers, make sure they're updated, also try a cooling pad to see if it fixes it.

If you plugged any usb devices in after it hibernated make sure that you remove them before resuming.

Run memtest for at least an hour. It could be a faulty ram chip.

Try setting the hibernation to S1 in the BIOS and try hibernation.
          "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Originally posted by slvfox View Post
            I recently upgraded a box from Vista Business to Windows 7 Ultimate SP1. It is a client in an SBS 2011 domain. It works without problem when I use it, but much of the time when it goes into or comes out of hibernation it crashes. It will sometimes prompt for a system restore; sometimes will prompt to try an automatic repair which does not work, sometimes wakes up from hibernation briefly and then reboots, and sometimes indicate that Windows did not shut down normally and give the option for a "safe mode" start up.

I always start it in normal mode and it works just fine until the next hibernation. I never had any problems with this box (Intel Core 2 - 1.86GHZ, 2 Gigs of RAM with 20 Gigs of free space on the hard drive) in the 2 years I've had it with Vista Business.

Any ideas?
            Take note what is the message in the BSOD(Blue screen)... the reason for the crash is indicated there. If your system automatically reboots and the bluescreen is not appearing after the crash, disable the automatic restart so that the blue screen appears and you can read the message.

Comment

bsod sould appear in event logs too..
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

So have you found the culprit that is causing this kind of behaviour. I would love to know more as I believe you have done harddisk test and mem test as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                  bsod sould appear in event logs too..
                  Only if you have the relevant box ticked

Comment

Working...
                  X