Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional Volume License

Hey guys,

I have a laptop that was purchased at a retail store, and it came with Windows 7 Home Premium. We have volume licenses for Windows 7 Professional, but when I tried upgrading it with one of our volume licenses it didn't work.

Is there a way to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro using our volume license, without having to do a complete reinstall of the laptop?

Re: Upgrade Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional Volume License

What exactly did you do?
    Was the Home Premium x86 or x64?
    Is the Professional version x86 or x64?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

There is no official upgrade path from HP to Pro, only to Ult.
      You could try installing Pro and seeing if it picks up the existing installation but IIRC it will only offer you a fresh install and will wipe the volume.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

So have I read this chart wrong then? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...79(WS.10).aspx
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No, I appear to have misread it
          According to the chart, you can do an upgrade (Anytime upgrade) to Pro

I have to say, I am sure I have tried this and NOT been offered pro, only ultimate so might be worth checking an actual machine

As previously noted, be aware of architectures etc.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the replies all.

The PC is 32bit and so was the upgrade key I was using. To upgrade I went to Windows Anytime Upgrade and I entered the upgrade key.

It said that it didn't support the volume license entered or something similar, sorry I don't have the exact wording but I was really just wondering if it is possible to upgrade from Home Premium to Pro using a volume license key and I was just missing something.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comment

I would guess that you will need the physical media on a DVD, run an UPGRADE from there and then enter the Pro key that you have.

Make sure you are legally entitled to use the VLK before commencing.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I've found that the Anytime Upgrade is a bit finicky with regards to VL Windows, but seems to work fine with retail keys. If you have to use the media to do it I'd recommend a clean format and reinstall rather than an upgrade install, but that's personal preference.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                X