Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• after power failure win7 does not connect to network

Hi all,

My isp has provided me a DSL modem. My laptop connects to it wirelessly and for my desktop I have a wired connection (RJ45). At my place power goes out and then backup comes up in two minutes this will cause connection failure. As the modem powers on completely then my laptop (xp) will reconnect wirelessly however my desktop (win7) shows limited or no connectivity. Some times desktop will connect after power fluctuation but most times it will not.

I connect to my desktop remotely and this issue halts my work. Any suggestions why this happens?

Thank you in advance

Re: after power failure win7 does not connect to network

I would imagine something to do with DHCP from the router.

Try assigning a static IP address and see if that helps. Else invest in a small UPS for these outages. As you are not connecting to the machine physically you don't need to conenct the monitor, just the PC and the modem.

Comment

Originally posted by lvaibhavt View Post
      I connect to my desktop remotely and this issue halts my work. Any suggestions why this happens?
      First, I'm unclear if the power is going out for your PCs as well as your modem? It sounds like it's only the modem that is powering off but the laptop and desktop are staying on. Because otherwise how is the desktop being turned back on again automatically? Is it on some kind of smart PDU?

Check your event log for errors relating to network services. It will probably be in the System log. It could be that somehow or another your installation of Windows is a bit dodgy and the networking services aren't restarting properly.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thank you folks for your suggestions ...... for now I have connected my modem to UPS ... I'll definetly check event Viewer

thanks again

Comment

Working...
        X