Win7 network access VERY slow.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win7 network access VERY slow.

Brand new Dell Optiplex 790 running Win7 Pro-32 bit and 4GB RAM is using only 2.5% of the available bandwidth according to the taskmgr.exe network page. It is an Intel 10/100/1000 NIC with latest drivers. The switch it is on is only 100 MB/s.

On the 100 MB/s connection I started with 36K/s throughput out of the box. By doing the below I have brought it up to 136K/s but it is still VERY slow. Takes 60 seconds to copy a 10MB file from a network share to the desktop. 1-2 secs for the same file transfer on a XP box.

Windows firewall is turned off and after reading a bunch of articles on the subject, I have done the following:

- In ncpa.cpl
    Right clicked on adapter (select properties)
    Click on "configure"
    Click on "advanced"
    Selected property "Flow Control" and change it to "Disabled"

- In the network adapter I changed it from "AUTO" to "100 MB - FULL"

- Turned off "QoS Packet Scheduler" and "IPv6" protocols (We use IPv4 exclusively in-house) in the network properties window.

- Ran the following commands in administrator DOS window:

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

I plugged the neighboring WinXP workstation into the jack used by the Win 7 machine and got 94-97% bandwidth throughput so it is the Win7 box that has the issue.

Out of ideas at this point. Found an article saying that the power saver controls might cause this, but there are very limited options under the NIC power saving and none of the options listed in the article are on the NIC properties.

Boss has already to me to sort it out or we will be putting the user back on XP. Not necessarily a bad thing, but dumb that Win7 only connects at 2.5% network speed out of the box.

Re: Win7 network access VERY slow.

Does the anti virus have network scanning enabled? This can substantially slow down the transfer speed.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Does the anti virus have network scanning enabled? This can substantially slow down the transfer speed.
      No, it is turned off.

Quite the puzzler this one. I am almost tempted to put a third party NIC in there just to see if it is the original card that is causing the issue.

Comment

Quite the puzzler this one. I am almost tempted to put a third party NIC in there just to see if it is the original card that is causing the issue.
        That was going to be one of my suggestions. Also, check to make sure you have the latest drivers and bios updates from Dell.

I plugged the neighboring WinXP workstation into the jack used by the Win 7 machine and got 94-97% bandwidth throughput so it is the Win7 box that has the issue.
        Have you tried a different cable?

Comment

Have you completely disabled all IPV6 settings?

Major difference between Win7 and XP in networking is Win7 has IPv6. I have had the IPv6 settings incorrect can make the network alot slower, as it keeps looking for its ipv6 DC/DNS.

Wofen
          Good to be back....

Comment

Hi Wofen,

IPv6 is unchecked in the protocol list of the adapter as is QoS.

I did change the cable and the performance improved to 7-8% throughput. Latest patches and drivers were installed. I am going to go out and get a third party NIC to try that later today.

Thanks.

Comment

OK, I disabled the Intel NIC. Installed a brand new third party no-name gigabit NIC. Turned off IPv6 and QoS on the new card and have exactly the same performance as the original NIC. 2.5% throughput.

The fun continues.

Comment

SOLVED!!!

I had the exact same issue on two more Dell Optiplex systems so I dug deeper on Google and finally found a series of articles that worked. When you encounter Win 7 slowdowns on your network do the following:

1) Run the following commands through a CMD prompt with Admin rights.

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
                netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

2) Turn off Remote Differential Compression - RDC

Go to Control Panel => Programs => Turn Windows features on or off => Deselect "Remote Differential Compression"

3) Set "Link Speed and Duplex" in network card properties from "Auto Negotiate" to match your line speed of your switch. In my case this was "100 MB Full Duplex"

4) Deselect "IPv6" and "QoS" in network card protocols if not using them.

Reboot your PC. I saw my network transfer speeds go from 66 K/s to 14-16 MB/s on my 100 MB switch.

A mighty thumbs down to Dell / Microsoft for having these issues right out of the gate on a new PC with vendor installed Windows.

Comment

Well done.

Thanks for posting back with the results as well. It really is appreciated.

Comment

i'm glad i found this thread.... thanks for posting. i have the same boxes and have noticed similar complaints on network performance.
                    i will look at the performance monitoring. i haven't yet.

is there any documented notes on this from Dell? how did you piece it all together?
                    is it more a Win7 issue though?

Comment

It is a Win7 issue without doubt. I transferred the user from XP to 7 over a weekend. Gave her the same access and programs she had before. Was slower than death from the first reboot on the network.

Dell had me run diagnostics - No issues. Then they asked me to replace the hard drive. What that has to do with anything I have no idea. I did it anyway and no change.

After that Dell quieted down and over a three hour period I hit Google and researched every forum post, thread and note I could find. Some things I had already tried, the rest you can see below. A lot of crap is turned on by default in 7 networking and turning it off really helped things. However, Remote Differential Compression was the real bandwidth killer. It is supposed to optimize Windows communication, but all it does is slow everything down.

From MSDN - "Remote Differential Compression (RDC) allows data to be synchronized with a remote source using compression techniques to minimize the amount of data sent across the network."

"RDC divides a file's data into chunks by computing the local maxima of a fingerprinting function that is computed at every byte position in the file. A fingerprinting function is a hash function that can be computed incrementally. For example, if you compute the function F over a range of bytes from the file, Bi...Bj, it should then be possible to compute F(Bi+1...Bj+1) incrementally by adding the byte Bj+1 and subtracting the byte Bi. The range of bytes from the file, Bi...Bj, is called the hash window. The length of this window, in bytes, is called the hash window size. "

So I am guessing that if RDC is turned on this process occurs on ALL network traffic regardless of whether the end node uses RDC itself or not. If I want to send a file slower I use ROBOCOPY or something similar. Otherwise if I send a file I want it to be sent as fast as possible. This is a perfect example of MS over-engineering a solution for a problem that did not exist in the first place.

At the very least all these fancy features should be turned OFF by default and then those who want to fiddle with settings can turn it on as required.

Comment

Working...
                      X