removing compressed file passwords

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing compressed file passwords

Does anyone know of a quick way to remove passwords from compressed files that were created in Windows XP now we're using Windows 7.

Microsoft removed the facility from Vista onwards and whereas you can use utlities such as 7zip to open and enter the pre-set password, there doesn't seem to be a way of clearing it from the file.

Any ideas?

Re: removing compressed file passwords

What file type are you tying to remove a password from, .zip? .rar? Or was it a windows password protected file?
    "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Originally posted by Managor View Post
      Or was it a windows password protected file?
      Yes, I should have probably been clearer

Comment

Have you tried putting it back onto an xp machine and using the 'facility' you talk of?

Give this page a read

http://www.tech-faq.com/how-can-i-re...-password.html

Personally I like FCrackZip
        Last edited by Managor; 13th October 2011, 14:18.
        "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

The main grunt is giving the user the ability to work as before moreso than getting access to the zip file, if I could find a way in Windows 7 to remove the password it would solve the problem (she knows the password). It might be she just has to work in a different way but try telling that to a user.

Miscrosoft shouldn't have simply removed the tool from the OS without offering a workaround (lmao did I really just say that)

I'll have a look at that, cheers
          Last edited by marcopolo; 13th October 2011, 16:21.

Comment

Can you not just open said document in winzip, and then extract the files to a new directory?

If they need to be Encrypted then you need to thinking about getting some software to do that (the windows encryption has always been a joke), or teaching users to rezip there work afterwards.

Wofen
            Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by Wofen View Post
              Can you not just open said document in winzip, and then extract the files to a new directory?

If they need to be Encrypted then you need to thinking about getting some software to do that (the windows encryption has always been a joke), or teaching users to rezip there work afterwards.

Wofen
              It's not as simple as that. For us in ICT its usually very easy to change our working practises and techniques.

Generally users tend to simply perform a process but lack understanding of what they are actually doing. In this case my users, along with external parties they are dealing with need to be given an alternative that they are happy to work with and both buy into. It's not always that simple.

It does look like they are going to have to go with what I've offered them and get used to it, but trying to convince them is challenging to say the least.

Comment

Working...
              X