Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Print issues

Hello

I am having trouble with some new client PC’s Running windows 7.

Our domain is a window 2003 and the print server is too.

I the client users in the start menu on the client PC’s there’s no “Devices and Printers.”

So if I add printers via windows “\\%Server%\ then connecting to the shared printer.

However this way it requires me to connect input the administrator username and password.

And I need to go on before adding the printer as the administrator to install the driver. Other wise the spooler crashes. This gets annoying when users move from one PC to other taking print settings with them.

Is there a way round these problems as I have been looking over the internet and am unable to come across anything.

Any other machines use windows XP and there are no problems with them just going into printers and faxes as usual.

Thanks you

Re: Print issues

Right click an empty space on the taskbar and select Properties, click the Start Menu tab and click Customize, then make sure that Devices and Printers is checked. You should be able to get Devices and Printers item on the Start menu.

Comment

This is not from the list all the other icons are there “Computer” “Network” etc but not “printers” or “devices and printers” its just not listed.

Comment

You mean it does not show here - see attached image
        Attached Files

Comment

Press Ctrl + ESC and type "Printers".

Otherwise, check to make sure that you are an Admin, and that Admins are part of the Print Operator local groups on the Win 7 machine.

Have you installed the Win7 drivers into the Printer server?
          If so, can you just goto \\server\ and right click install?

Are the printers normally assigned via GPO, if so this can cuase some problems if the server does not have the correct driver for the OS.

Try a Selective Start up (Done though MSconfig). This will disable anything other then MS stuff, so if some printer bloatware is stopping it working (3rd party print management installed as part of a print driver), this will solve it.

Check your Bluetooth Support Service and make sure it is running and set to Automatic. Win7 sometimes will hang looking for a Bluetooth printer (even if you have NEVER used bluetooth), but as the service is not running, it just sits and waits.

If none of that works, get back to us as I am sure I can come up with more things to try.

Thanks,
          Wofen
          If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.
          IE: you blow your server up following my advice, not my bad

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".

Comment

Typing printers in the start menu just brings up print management. Not devices and printers. I have tried editing the registry to create an Icon which worked but not as I have intended:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\
            Create a New Key {2227a280-3aea-1069-a2de-08002b30309d}
            On the right hand Pane Edit the Default Key and give it the value Printers.

The printers are not assigned via GPO and users normal add printer via “Printers and Faxes” in XP

I can not see a print operators group in User accounts on the local machine.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Toona View Post
              You mean it does not show here - see attached image
              Yes its not in the list.

Comment

I the client users in the start menu on the client PC’s there’s no “Devices and Printers.”
                Does the user have premissions to view the Devices and Printers?
                Have you tried "control /name Microsoft.DevicesAndPrinters" from an admin command line?

If you boot into safe mode, can you find the items?

When you run that command line, are there any errors presented or in the event log?

Is your Print spooler enable?
                Have you reinstalled your spooler (dont know if this would do anything, but it cant hurt).

Other then that, I dont know. That command line should work, it has for me on every computer that I have tried.

Thanks,
                Wofen
                If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".

Comment

Does the user have premissions to view the Devices and Printers?
                  Have you tried "control /name Microsoft.DevicesAndPrinters" from an admin command line?
                  No I have tried this as the Administrator and this works but if I switch to the users account this doesn't work.
                  What I don't gets is that XP users in the Same OU can add printer via printer and faxes no problem. I have looked though GP on our server and I can't see anything as to why there is any restrictions.

Thank you

Comment

An Admin Command line does not mean a command line as Domain Admin, Its an option when you right click. It is a very easy simple way to see if there is a premissions issue.

Also there is a change to some of the pritner premissions between XP and Win 7.

Personally I would start making some LARGE changes to see what effects it.
                    I would try...
                    A) Make the User a Local admin on the Machine - Does this make any change.
                    B) Make Sure that Domain Users are in each of the printer groups on the local machine.
                    C) Log on as Local Admin and see if you can Find Printers and Devices.
                    D) Run a few RSoP (I hope you have already done this) and make sure there is nothing in the GP stopping it.
                    E) Remove the said computer from the domain, See if you can find the pritners.

Also, are you using "PushPrinterConnect.Exe"? If you are, you might want to look at different ways, as this will crash the Spooler service in Windows7.

Other then that, You need to start working out what is effecting this, is it Premissions, Setting, GP, Domain. start making drastic changes and see what makes an effect. Once you have found out what is making it behave like this, we can find out how to stop/fix it.

Wofen

Comment

Thank you a lot for your help.

A) Make the User a Local admin on the Machine - Does this make any change.
                      No this does't make and change.

B) Make Sure that Domain Users are in each of the printer groups on the local machine.
                      I am not sure how to do this.

C) Log on as Local Admin and see if you can Find Printers and Devices.
                      D) Run a few RSoP (I hope you have already done this) and make sure there is nothing in the GP stopping it.
                      I can't see any thing in GP thats making this happen, however if i move the user to a different OU they can then have access to devices and printers.

E) Remove the said computer from the domain, See if you can find the pritners.
                      I have not tried this yet.

Thank you

Comment

For D) is this on the same PC?

If so, it MUST be group policies
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ok I am stuck as to which group policy setting will be affecting it.

Comment

Run a RSoP for the specific computer and user -- if you wish, post the results here
                            Tom Jones
                            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, I have spent ages looking at this problem.

Please see attached.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X