Windows 7 64-Bit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 64-Bit

I have a weird situation that happens. We are using W764 Professional and some times the PC will not connect to the 2003 R2 Domain. The are logged into a temporaty profile and I have to either restart or logoff. Could it be a dns issue?

Re: Windows 7 64-Bit

Have you reviewed the client event logs for errors relating to the profile?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you suspect itís a DNS issue then I would use the hosts file (enter domain hosts and IPs) as to check whether the problem is related to dns or not! Otherwise, use the Network Monitor which is a free tool available from Microsoft.

Comment

putting things in hosts file is rarely a good idea. there are other ways to test DNS than using the fkn hostname

I would start with, as ossian suggested, looking through the event logs to get a hint.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

tehcamel,
          I suggested the hosts file as a temporary check\tool to skip DNS checks and not as a solution to the problem at hand... it's a quick and cheap test

Comment

Nslookup command is simple as well.
            I'm not very fond of using a host file while there are easier ways to troubleshoot.

Log files are the first place to start with. Nowhere is stated that the issue IS related to DNS... There are more possible potential issues where this can be related to. Basically you are going to try to resolve an issue without knowing where to look for.

So, logfiles first on client and server and then drill down to resolve the issue.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Most likely not related to DNS but would need more info to determine. Can you provide some info on what kind of profiles you are using, does the user have full control. I did have this issue on a mixed XP and win7 environment and found out that certain roaming profile issues can be sorted by making sure the user is the owner of the profile folder.
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
              X