Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mapped drives have red X on them and say unavailable when they are accessible.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapped drives have red X on them and say unavailable when they are accessible.

We are having an issue with mapped drives displaying red X's on them within my computer, displaying either disconnected or unavailable.

When you double click to browse within the drive it works fine and then the red x disappears. I've been trawling over the internet and only found things like, turn of UAC and move away from login scripts now you are using Windows 2008 R2 DC's and Windows 7 clients.

We have a mixture of 2003 and 2008 Domain controllers and a mixture of Windows XP clients and Windows 7.

Also have a mixture of logon methods, .bat files and Group Policy.
    We are currently testing mapping drives via GP instead and moving away from scripts for good.

This problem seems to occur for either method and cannot find out why.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Re: Mapped drives have red X on them and say unavailable when they are accessible.

There was a default "timeout" in Server 2003/XP (and possibly Windows 2000 ) where the mapped drives went "offline" (Session idle time, I think it is called) after 15 minutes. There is a Registry setting where this can be changed. I remember having this issue at one site and applied the reg hack to rectify it. Was 5 or 6 years ago so I don't remember the setting but I may still have the hack. Will have a look when time permits.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Mapped drives have red X on them and say unavailable when they are accessible.

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      There was a default "timeout" in Server 2003/XP (and possibly Windows 2000 ) where the mapped drives went "offline" (Session idle time, I think it is called) after 15 minutes. There is a Registry setting where this can be changed. I remember having this issue at one site and applied the reg hack to rectify it. Was 5 or 6 years ago so I don't remember the setting but I may still have the hack. Will have a look when time permits.
      Here it is: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      You should change the default autodisconnect value ("time-out period") in the registry on the computers that have shared resources.

NOTE: The mapped drive is automatically disconnected when this "time-out period" lasts more than the duration that is set in KeepConn in the registry on the client side computer, (= 600 sec by default).

APPLIES TO
      Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
      Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
      Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
      Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
      Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition
      Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition
      Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
      Microsoft Windows XP Professional
      Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3
      Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
      Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition
      Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition
      Windows Vista Enterprise
      Windows Vista Home Basic
      Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
      Windows Server 2008 Enterprise
      Windows 7 Enterprise

/Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
      and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Autodisconnet, that's the one. I remember looking at ffffffff and thinking that drive won't disconnect for a day or two, then I worked it out. I'll be dead before the sucker disconnects.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Cheers guys.

Will give this a go!

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X