No announcement yet.

Migrating Local profile to domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating Local profile to domain

Hi All,

I am using Windows 7 machines and WIndows server 2008 r2. Previously, everyone was on one work group having there local profiles. But recently we have changed the case, now everyone has to authenticate him self from active directory but the profile will be still at local machine. So. I am having two profiles ending with .local_machine_name and .domainname. I wish to migrate all the settings from .Local profile to the .domainname profile and looking for some concrete way. I have came across MoveUser script but its not working for me as it is unable to contact the domain controller. Any ideas or thoughts we be highly appreciated.

Re: Migrating Local profile to domain

Simplest way, but time consuming, would be to use MigWiz
    Log on as old user
    Run MigWiz to copy old profile
    Log on as domain user
    Re-run to import

... on each machine...
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

could it be scripted in a logon script somehow ossian ?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

We use profwiz, which works great, but we had to touch each machine, but evidently, there is a way to script it:

Hello Guys ,

I really appreciate your answers.

I tried it manually using following procedure and it worked out for me.

Actually, i needed to move couple of profiles. Both the source and destination of the profiles were local system. Actually, i accompalished it by logging in with a domain account. A profile was created for that account. I then logged into administrator account and copied the (unhidden all the files and folders) copied it from the local profile to the domain user profile (both on the same system) except the files starting with NTUser*. It did worked out for me except couple smaill tits of bits.