Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Functions keys

Hi all.
    Is there a way, preferably through either group policy editor or registry editor, that function keys (F1 to F12) can be disabled ? (Windows 7 standalone)
    Means if the user presses F3 on the keyboard, the search windows explorer should not appear.
    This is for the project's requirements, so I sincerely and seriously do hope no one gives me suggestions like "Pluck out the keys off the keyboards" or ask me "why would I want to restrict the user from clicking the function keys."

All help would be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!!
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: Functions keys

Originally posted by mla View Post
    "why would I want to restrict the user from clicking the function keys."
    Well... why do you? There may be other ways of doing what you need to do, by locking down the functionality of a given piece of software.

What research have you done / have you found anything / what have you tried?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi gforce,
      I really thank you for asking
      It pushed me to do another search on web and I guess I found a good suggestion.
      Will try it tomorrow when in the office...

1. I am locking down a new HP Thin (with W7 embedded). This group of boxes will be out of domain for one link in IE to Intranet site. IE is completely locked down the only things couple of F keys are responding.

2. This is a link to a nice tip for tricking Windows F keys:
      http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6211027AAKxAAU

3. I even give you a point for a good question-answer

Thanks.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

You can also buy keyboards without function keys (and possibly other keys too). These are usually targetted at young children to help them begin to learn to type, however there are some models around that look professional enough for use in the workplace. One of these may be suitable.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X