Locked Windows 7 Computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked Windows 7 Computer

With the unavailability of Windows XP, we have been getting our new desktop computers with Windows 7 Professional in them. The problem I am now having is when a Windows 7 computer gets locked (and can only be unlocked by the user), I do not have the option to unlock the computer as an administrator and now has to be hard booted to unlock it. Does anyone know how to accomplish this task. We do have real strict security policies in which the computer automatically gets locked after 20 minutes of inactivity. I also had to hide the switch user feature because so many people would get logged into the computer at the same time that it would crash it. We are on a Windows Server 2003 domain and I have looked at Enabling the "Always Use Classic Logon", Disabling the "Do Not Require CTRL + ALT + DEL" and creating a new ADM file for "Hide Entry Points for Fast User Switching" and Enabling that in GPO on the server. However, I am not able to find anything on how to allow Administrators to Unlock a Locked Computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Locked Windows 7 Computer

What do you mean by
    Originally posted by NOM115 View Post
    I do not have the option to unlock the computer as an administrator
    ??
    The credentials aren't working?
    And what administrator are we talking about? The local admin? The domain admin (I suppose you're in a domain, if you're talking about GPOs ...)?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

I know what he means.

On my W7 laptop (non-domain, but still) when the workstation is locked, it doesn't give me an opportunity to enter another user account, unless I use FUS.

OP has disabled FUS because so many people log on repeatedly.

On a Windows XP computer, for arguments sake, if the terminal is locked, you can type in a different username, say DOM\Administrator
      and it will log off the user and logon the administrator.

He can't figure out how to do this on a W7 computer without using FUS

one option would be to use remote desktop to establish a connection and logon as admin, then log the admin out again
      that would acheive your aim.

another way would be to use "query session /server:hostname" then "logoff /server:hostname sessionid"
      there's plenty of advice on how to use these commands on the internet..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Tehcamel understood what I meant. I have since found a solution that may possibly be included in an future Microsoft update, but that isn't definite. I'll post the solution for those that are interested in my next post so that I can put the link in.

Comment

For those that are interested in the solution I found, go to the following link; http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...9-267f3ea1dcba and there will be a link for an Administrative Unlock install that works great!! Thanks for the input received. It is greatly appreciated!

Comment

For WinXP we are using a third party app called Unlock Administrator by e-motional.com software.

This allows you to set who can unlock the workstation (either logging off the current user or not) The person unlocking does not have to an admin. They tell me they are about to release a Vista/7 version soon. I am on a list of beta testers when it is available. You can probably contact them if you want a beta version too.

Comment

Originally posted by NOM115 View Post
              For those that are interested in the solution I found, go to the following link; http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...9-267f3ea1dcba and there will be a link for an Administrative Unlock install that works great!! Thanks for the input received. It is greatly appreciated!
              NOM115, Thank You for posting back with a solution to your problem. This is much appreciated!! I bet there will be more than a few who will be interested in this solution (I am clicking on the link now).
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I just noticed a Win 7 beta version of Unlock Administrator http://www.e-motional.com/ULAdmin.htmby e-motional.com software is available. This software allows you to grant any user or group of users unlocking capability. I have tried it and it seems to be working as advertised under Win 7.

Comment

Working...
                X