Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win7 clients randomally disconnects from 2003srv. Can ping everything but the server.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win7 clients randomally disconnects from 2003srv. Can ping everything but the server.

Hi guys!

This is a very interesting situation:

A Client of ours has a network with two 2003 DC's. one of them has some shares and a small DB on it and the other one is just a BDC. Both of them holds DNS roles.
    The client computers are mixed winXP and win7.
    Last week users workstations suddenly began disconnecting from the main server during work. disconnecting means cannot ping the server, though no problem pinging other network devices such as the router, or connecting to the internet.
    In order to fix this, the user has two options that one of them will solve the issue almost always:
    1. take the network cable out of the wall and return it in.
    2. "Diagnose" on the network connection.

After performing one of those, Ping will return normal and the user can keep working again for 5-30 minutes till it happens again.

I've searched the whole net trying to find a clue.
    I've tried giving reservation to the stations on the DHCP (on main server), DCDIAG and NETDIAG returned no failures, replaced swithces, disabled IPv6 on clients, scanning logs, updating server and clients, scanned for viruses, upgrade network card drivers on both sides (even though it happens on different computers), checking for infrastructure problems and many other directions, nothing helped.

the most interesting thing I've found is that the problem only happens on stations with win7. winxp stays connected all time, even if i connect them instead of one of the problematic win7 stations.

Anyone ever seen or heard of this issue? any ideas?

Thanks,

Guy.

Re: Win7 clients randomally disconnects from 2003srv. Can ping everything but the ser

do you ping via IP, or hostname?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Win7 clients randomally disconnects from 2003srv. Can ping everything but the ser

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      do you ping via IP, or hostname?
      Both of course, this isn't seem to be a DNS problem.

Thanks

Comment

Have you tried disabling all security software on one of the Win7 devices to see if the issue persists?
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Hi Just to add to this, I'm having the same issues too.

I have a DNS 2003 server.

Problem is, randomly, my Win 7 clients will lose all network connection to my 2003 DNS server.

When that happens.
          1) Win 7 can't ping DNS 2003, DNS 2003 can't ping Win 7 client
          2) Win 7 client can ping a non pdc windows server 2003
          3) Everything else works fine. I can ping other PCs, routers, switch everything is reachable, only the PDC/DNS
          4) A different win 7 client (which is effected by this same random disconnection can connect to the DNS server)

Based on point 4, even if all the multiple windows 7 clients are affected, it doesnt happen at the same time.

While Win7 A fails to ping DNS/PDC server, Win7 B can ping
          Some times, Win7 B can't ping, Win7 A can ping...

Everything is working fine, until recently.... I'm suspecting a patch gone wrong?

This is very annoying, as I don't have an answer when the effected ppl start asking me, what's wrong?

Comment

Hi Blood, I noted your post about a similar issue... however, we dont have sophos... this is frustrating. I've been using the Win7 clients for a while, and this has just recently started to happen...

Comment

Any new software recently installed? Any network monitoring software being used?

That is rather strange though, that the DNS server is the only device that can not be reached.

Are there any clues in the Event Logs on DC hosting the DNS server about connections being refused?

Comment

I have gone through the same with Windows 7 clients intermittently disconnecting and the resolution ended up being moving printers and file shares to Windows 2008 server, which perhaps isn't an option for you.

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=47144

Comment

The dead horse came back with a vengence, I'm getting the same things all over again, after a while of relative calmness.

Any ideas? My Win 7 clients is losing network connection to the DC which is also the DNS server.

When this happens, all my W7 clients will lose connection to the Net, needless to say, they are not too happy about it, and neither am I!

Moving to W2008 server and repurchasing all the CALs is not an option.. annoying as hick, any solutions?

Things that I did
                  1) Disabled IPv6 as some suggested, no luck.
                  2) Disabled Firewall

The network is fine, switch is fine, server is fine. My XP clients have no problems, only my W7/Vista clients are experiencing this random I don't want to network with the DC anymore!

This problem seems to be related to the DC or DNS itself, as my FnP server which is also running 2003 can be contacted by my W7P clients without problems.

Googling is not helping much unfortunately, I got all those links asking me to troubleshoot or Have you set the proper Ip for the DNS server etc...
                  This is a specific problem with the network connection from Win7 to the Server 2003.

Things which does work
                  1) Disabling and Enabling the network adapter 100% fixes this issue (So far)

This seems to point to an issue within the way Win 7 handles a connection to the DC/DNS??
                  Is there any security features within Win7 that will set it up to purposely 'Ban/Block' my DC?

When I cant contact my DC/DNS server, everything else works fine, I can ping everyone! Everything! It's just my DC/DNS.... which leads me down the road, is W7 blacklisting my DC on some weird reasons?

More disturbingly is, I noted that in my other clients, there's NO EVENT FAILURES in between able to Ping my DNS and losing network to my DNS.
                  Event log seems a dead end...
                  Last edited by Valeron; 10th August 2011, 05:30.

Comment

When you disabled the firewall the issue persisted? Do the servers have firewalls installed? Check the firewall logs for clues. Something appears be interfering with the DNS traffic on port 53.

Comment

Hi Blood, it's not DNS related. I'm totally cut off from my DC/DNS server
                      Pinging my DNS/DC with IP doesnt work at all. I CAN ping everything else fine. It's just that my W7 clients are, for some weird reasons, disconnected from my DC/DNS server...

The randomness, and no event errors is making troubleshooting a pain.
                      Just updated my drivers, win 7 and etc, I'm still having the same issues.

I wonder where the original TS is... too bad I cant reach him by email, would be nice to get some feedback from him, as I'm having the same case, and since he's not here anymore, I guess he fixed it..

Comment

Well, that is just plain strange.

Are the same symptoms you describe on 16th July still occurring?

You mentioned then that although you were unable to ping the DNS server, you were able to ping another Win2003 server. But, if you are not able to connect to the Internet, that makes it a little confusing.

Is there some service kicking in on the affected clients when the connection to the DNS server is disrupted? Have a look at the scheduled tasks and also see which services are Started when this occurs. You are absolutely sure there is nothing in any of the logs on the server to indicate a problem?

Although you say it is not DNS, it must be some aspect of it - something is not liking the traffic that the clients are generating and is refusing to either deliver or accept the traffic. As it is specifically traffic to your DNS server, and you are unable to connect to the Internet (resolve addresses), that suggests traffic on port 53 (TCP and UDP) is being disrupted.

I don't know how willing you may be to do this, but the arduous way to do this would be start a Win7 client with a minimal configuration and see if the connection is disrupted, then move on from there.

I have no idea what caused the same issue on my network, but I do know that the firewall was blocking traffic on port 53 to the DNS server only because the process that was sending it had had its memory modified. Scans revealed no malware present.

Comment

Found some other threads on this, seems Im not the only one.
                          Note we all are in the same scenario

Mixed XP and 7 clients
                          XP clients can connect to the servers without problems for years.
                          Windows 7, experiencing 'random' disconnects.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-80d0d034d148/

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...5-d0e47e691bed

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...6-49c2236af095

Comment

Have you tried changing network cards?

Comment

Working...
                            X