windows 7 & windows 2000 server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 7 & windows 2000 server

just bought a notebook with windows 7 ultimate, 64 bit and I cannot connect to my server via ethernet cable. When installing client, get "cannot enable DHCP". Checked tcp/ip settings and are set to automatic. When pinging, 100% lost as if cable wasnt' even working, but while installing client it can read all of the users and computers on my server. Contacted Dell, but they do not support issue. They do say, however, that there is no compatablity issue. Win 7 should connect to 2000 DNS. Need assistance, thank you

Re: windows 7 & windows 2000 server

Try another cable?
    Set static IP and confirm server is fully reachable?
    check leases are availalble
    check for rogue DHCP servers

Havent used 2000 DHCP for a long time, but AFAIK should have no issued -- certainly 7 works fine with 2003 which is more or less the same
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The norton antivirus firewall is blocking EVERYTHING. Just guessing about the norton but it seems to be bundled with new installs and it is the FIRST thing I uninstall.

If you have a different a/v then check that firewall to see if it is letting traffic through.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

you are using a switch or hub, right ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I can't thank you guys enough! I thought I had checked off all of the obvious potential problems. I was using an ethernet cable from another system that is working just fine, so I supsected the cable was good. After struggling with it for a couple of days, I decided to go through the dummy checklist that you guys posted. When I saw the first item "use different cable", I noticed the adapter was reading "cable disconnected" on the notebook. I brought in a different cable and sure enough, the cable from the other notebook was not going in deep enough to make contact.....

Thank you all...and thank you Ossian for your dummy check list.

These forums are invaluable!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

No problem -- sometimes the simple ones are the right ones
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X