Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 7 / Folder Redirect / GPO

Hi all

I have a 2003 server (does all network functions) and small network of mainly Win XP computers. We use GPOs to manage folder redirection, which has worked great. A few Windows 7 came along, so after some research I downloaded the RSAT onto my windows 7 box, and created a new GPO for windows 7 users only to handle folder redirect - I had only 2 users at the time - and I can't remember having issues. That was quite some time ago - now I'm trying to add more and for some reason, when I try to add the new users to the GPO using my windows 7 machine, they don't add (I can query the user's name fine). If I do it via RDP from my server, it adds the users OK, but it screws up the folders (adds My Videos, My Pictures, etc to the Windows 7 documents folter).

For some reason it seems my windows 7 computer is being blocked from adding new users to the GPO. I do not get any error messages and don't see any in event viewer either.

Can someone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks
    Mo

Re: Win 7 / Folder Redirect / GPO

Questions:
    1) on your computer and through RDP on your server, are you using the same user to log on?
    2) have you checked the Event log of your computer? You might find there the detailed reason of the problem.
    3) What is the exact error message (if any) that yo receive when trying to add a new user to the AD?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Have you run the GPMC on the Windows 7 PC explicitly as an administrator?

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.
        I was using my personal logon on my laptop (with domain admin rights) and Administrator logon on the server via RDP. I also tried logging on as Administrator on my laptop (domain account), but the same problem happens. I also tried running GPMC on my laptop specifically as admin, but same issue.
        Unfortunately, no errors appear in event viewer on laptop or on the server. I do not receive any error message, the user account simply doesn't get added to the GPO. I'm quite at a loss.

Comment

I meant have you tried right clicking on the GPMC shortcut and running as an administrator? As it is windows 7 and depending on how your UAC settings are configured, when you run GPMC, it may not be elevating you to an administrator.

Comment

Hi Virtual
            Yes I understood your suggestion, I did try it that way as well. Something tells me I'm missing the obvious, but haven't hit it yet. Thanks for your followup.

Comment

No problem. Have you tried reinstalling GPMC on the laptop? Have you installed SP1 since you last used it? If you have access to one, try from another Windows 7 PC or Windows 2008 server.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                No problem. Have you tried reinstalling GPMC on the laptop? Have you installed SP1 since you last used it? If you have access to one, try from another Windows 7 PC or Windows 2008 server.
                Bingo! Didn't realize SP1 was out - I installed it and then forgot about this for a few days. I just tried it again and the user now added. Strange to me, but it worked! Thanks a million

-Mo

Comment

Originally posted by mo_rocks View Post
                  Bingo! Didn't realize SP1 was out - I installed it and then forgot about this for a few days. I just tried it again and the user now added. Strange to me, but it worked! Thanks a million

-Mo
                  Thanks for posting back the solution!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
                    X