Windows 7 on C drive plus a Raid 0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 on C drive plus a Raid 0

I did a research but couldn't find the answer to my specific issue.

I'm still using Windows XP but within 2-3 weeks I'll use Windows 7 64 bit on a new built computer dedicated to high definition video editing (from broadcast camera).

I'm going to order the parts (some from Amazon US some others locally) and to assemble the computer and my question is: how to setup a Raid 0?

I'm a bit confused about software and hardware Raid setup, will I just install Seven on C then I "attach" the other 2 drives to setup the Raid 0?
    What about drivers, will Seven install/ask for them during setup or I should use motherboard's chipset drivers?

Seven will be installed on 1 WD Velociraptor Sata while the Raid 0 (2 Sata 7200 rpm disks ) is dedicated for cache and temporary output work.
    2 more drivers will be allocated (no Raid) only for backup.

The motherboard: I'm struggling between two X58 chipset based models - Asus P6X58D-E http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo and Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo consequently I'll use a compatible Intel processor.

These motherboards have both a dedicated 6GBs Sata slot, so should I install the Velociraptor and Seven on this slot or should I use the 3GBs one?

If you guys have any other option regarding the motherboard, you'll be very welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows 7 on C drive plus a Raid 0

Normally you install RAID 0 at the BIOS level (using the built in RAID controller) and then install the OS onto the array. Use the MoBo RAID drivers during Windows setup.

However, you know you will have absolutely NO recovery if any of the drives fails. With 3 drives, have you considered adding another and going for RAID 1+0 (or 0+1) to give you both speed and some sort of redundancy? (OK, re-read and I see you are doing 1 OS drive and RAID 0 on the data, but the question still stands)

IMHO the 6mbps connectors should be for the RAID 0 as this is where you want speed.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Normally you install RAID 0 at the BIOS level (using the built in RAID controller) and then install the OS onto the array. Use the MoBo RAID drivers during Windows setup.

However, you know you will have absolutely NO recovery if any of the drives fails. With 3 drives, have you considered adding another and going for RAID 1+0 (or 0+1) to give you both speed and some sort of redundancy? (OK, re-read and I see you are doing 1 OS drive and RAID 0 on the data, but the question still stands)

IMHO the 6mbps connectors should be for the RAID 0 as this is where you want speed.
      Firstly thanks for quick help.

1) I understand I should attach the raid 0 to the 6GBs port for fast (temporary) data transfer but will the Velociraptor be fast enough on the 3GBs port?

2) I'm still not clear regarding Seven initial setup. I read somewhere that the on board Marvell chipset (Sata controller) has drivers problems so some people suggested to use Windows' drivers.

3) Here my primary question, will Seven automatically install the drivers (with the 2 disks already connected for Raid 0 setup) or I should install Seven first and then I care about the Raid 0?

Comment

well, you're array isn't critical to the installer, so you only need to be worried about whether or not Windows 7 will see your velociraptor during installation.

In almost every situation, it will. W7 is great with drivers OOB. You also don't need to worry whether it has proble,ms with the raid driver during install, becaues you won't need it.

just install it on the velociraptor, ten afterwards install the RAID0 in the bios, reboot windows, and it should find the array.
        (Otherwise THEN you'll use the drivers provided by the manufacturer)
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

If this is for a commercial operation then perhaps you should be looking at SSDs to achieve the maximum speed.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            well, you're array isn't critical to the installer, so you only need to be worried about whether or not Windows 7 will see your velociraptor during installation.

In almost every situation, it will. W7 is great with drivers OOB. You also don't need to worry whether it has proble,ms with the raid driver during install, becaues you won't need it.

just install it on the velociraptor, ten afterwards install the RAID0 in the bios, reboot windows, and it should find the array.
            (Otherwise THEN you'll use the drivers provided by the manufacturer)
            Ok then as soon I get the system assembled I first install Seven on the Velociraptor.
            Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              If this is for a commercial operation then perhaps you should be looking at SSDs to achieve the maximum speed.
              That's true but I still feel more reliability in the mechanical drive, yet this Velociraptor is much more noisy than others also slower than SSD drivers but for now I've to live with it.

Comment

Working...
              X