Windows 7 admin rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 admin rights

I am tying to log in on windows 7 machine with domain admin account but it is not given me admin rights on the system...

The local admin is also disabled i tried to reset the password of local admin as well but it is not working.

Any idea what i can do to have full admin rights on the system? Even if i am trying to rejoin to the domain it is not accepting my admin account...

Any thoughts?

Re: Windows 7 admin rights

you must add the domain admin to the local administrator gorup.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

It's not even allowing me to do that. When i am going for the Manage option for the "My computer" its asking for the admin password.

Comment

I would recommend using a Password Reset disk then, like CHNTPWD
        (Offline Password Reset disk) which is downloadable from somehwere or other (n ot sure on the top of my head)

Or, you could try using Group Policy, using restricted groups, to force membership to that Local administrator group.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

This may not be a complete answer but you could use 'run as' to accomplish admin tasks to get something done for now (or even to open compmgmt to make the alterations you require.

Comment

Originally posted by cahmadh View Post
            I am tying to log in on windows 7 machine with domain admin account but it is not given me admin rights on the system...

The local admin is also disabled i tried to reset the password of local admin as well but it is not working.

Any idea what i can do to have full admin rights on the system? Even if i am trying to rejoin to the domain it is not accepting my admin account...

Any thoughts?
            when you say "domain admin" account, would this be the administrator account such as domain\administrator when you log in or one you've created yourself? You can try to setup a new OU in AD. Then add a GPO and setup Restricted Groups, then doing gpupdate /force to see if it add the proper groups to the machine.

Comment

I tried but still did not work....to save time i have reinstalled the windows.

Comment

Local administrator account is disabled by default in Win7, but can be enabled as part of most password resets.
                ....to save time i have reinstalled the windows.
                Ah yes, the "My car has an empty tank so to save time I bought a new one" approach.
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have reinstalled the windows which resolve the issue. I tried to enable the password as well using but it did not work.

Comment

Did you try using the net user command? You need to specify a password. So if you chose Meta11ic as your local administrator password:

net user administrator Meta11ic /active:yes

But, as a domain administrator, you should be able to add any user to the admin group of the Win7 PC.

Have you been able to join it to the domain since re-installing?
                    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Sounds like a 'hokey' initial setup.

Comment

Originally posted by The Phesant Has No Agenda View Post
                        This may not be a complete answer but you could use 'run as' to accomplish admin tasks to get something done for now (or even to open compmgmt to make the alterations you require.
                        remember you can always create a file batch file with runas command. it would go something like runas /user:administrator cmd.exe

Comment

Working...
                        X