Network storage - can't open certain files - can't save, etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network storage - can't open certain files - can't save, etc

I have a very odd problem with one client machine. We have a snap appliance NAS that she is trying to access a certain folder on. When she tries to open excel files in this folder, it gives her "The directory name is invalid." and will not open the file. If she has another excel file open or drags the excel file into the open excel app, it will open the file. However, no matter how it was opened, if she makes a change and tries to save it, it says "Document not saved." Not only that, it deletes the file from the NAS! We noticed that there was a missing 2011 file yesterday so I replaced it from a backup and I assumed someone had deleted it by accident. It was actually caused by the problem we're talking about here. I've been on google for the last couple of hours but haven't really found anything similar. Does anyone have any ideas what I should check? When I map the network drive from my computer with her credentials, everything works normally so it has to be something to do with her PC. It is a windows 7 box...the same make and model as my PC. Any ideas?

edit: There are a bunch of .tmp files in the drive now since this problem has been going on. They are excel temporary files.
    Last edited by noRulez43; 11th May 2011, 17:18.

Re: Network storage - can't open certain files - can't save, etc

Can any other systems access this folder/file successfully? (any other O/S as well)? It does sound quite odd, first thing I'd check is virus/maleware.

Comment

Other PCs have no trouble accessing this folder. I tried to navigate to the folder with a DOS emulation on her PC and it said "Access denied" when I tried to CD into the directory. I thought that was odd because it is not a permission issue. I can get on there with her credentials from my PC no problem.

Comment

how long is the directory path, including file name?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Z:\Class Information\Individual Class Enrollment\2011 Class Enrollment.xls is the full path.

Comment

when you say it's only affecting one pc,

what happens if this user logs on to another PC as herself and tries to open the file?
            Same problem?

Also, what happens if someone else logs onto the faulty PC with a different account, does the same issue occur ?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Just for an added note, the NAS device stores its own user names and passwords that we use to log on and access file. This user is currently at another computer logged in using the same credentials and everything is working fine. I log in on the problem PC as myself and the same thing happens to me so it is definitely something on the PC side itself. I'm just not sure what I should be looking for at this point.

Comment

Is this a Domain or Workgroup?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It's a domain. We are all hooked up to a sbs 2003 box. Today, she sat at someone else's computer that is on vacation and logged in with her domain credentials, then mapped a network drive with her SNAP server credentials and everything worked as it should. We've been using this same setup for years and I've never seen anything like this. I'm stumped.

Comment

What has been installed on her machine that is not on the other ones?
                    Is there a firewall blocking the NAS (shouldn't be as this should be a default SBS GPO setting)?
                    Does she have a User Account on her machine? Permission clash?
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

There have been no new applications installed for over a month on this particular computer. She also does not have any programs that I do not also have. I did notice something interesting. When I map a drive directly to this folder, it works fine. To put this in perspective, usually we map a drive directly to the base directory of the snap server and people can only get into certain folders based on the credentials they use to log in (which are stored in the snap drive itself). We have never had a problem with this. All of a sudden, this one particular folder is giving this one particular computer an issue. However, when I map a drive directly to the directory in question, it works. For now, that is what I have done. So, when she needs to get into that particular folder, she uses the mapped drive specifically for that folder. There are no other user accounts on the machine and nothing that I can see with the firewall. I disabled McAfee and windows firewall both and the problem persists.

Comment

Well, I was wrong. Even mapping a drive directly to the folder in question did not work. It did open the file but, when you try to save it, it says "Document not saved" and thent he file is gone from the folder. I'm even more puzzled now. Any thoughts on things I should be checking on?

Comment

Turns out the problem had something to do with offline files. When I turned that off, everything seems to be working normally. I noticed that it was keeping cached copies in the offline files for this particular mapped drive. How do I control what it syncs and what it doesn't? There's no reason she would have to have offline files for that particular drive and my PC does not ever try to do that.

Comment

Working...
                          X