Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder redirection issues on certain machines

Hi

We have Windows 7 Enterprise clients all on a domain and connected to a Windows 2008 AD network but using a 2003 File server for all home areas.

We seem to be having a problem with certain clients only that when a user logs in it presents their home directory but they are not able to access it. It comes up with a message saying an error occured. All other shares work fine. When I run RSOP on the machine it says that folder redirection could not complete this function.

I also see lots of error messages on that machine which says it was not able to perform folder redirection on all the file folders e.g. desktop, appdata, movies, music etc

It only seems to be affecting our students, If an admin or staff member logs in, the folder redirection works fine. It doesnt work on any student account.

I have also tried to clear all the accounts on the workstation and deleting the profiles in the registry by going to regedit, HKLM, microsoft, software, Windows NT, current version, Profile list and deleting any inactive profiles. I have reapplied the persmissions on the students home directory as well and this hasnt solved it either.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Re: Folder redirection issues on certain machines. Can

ok what happens when you try and logon as a student_user, and then manually try and map the folder that would otherwise be redirected?

does it work?

if not, what hints does it give you ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Folder redirection issues on certain machines

You say you see errors, presumably in event viewer - what exactly do those say? There is normally a reason as to why redirection could not be completed although sometimes it refers to earlier logs to find the details

Comment

Ok I have looked again on one particular computer that is having this issue and investigated the event logs and when logging on as a student. i get the following message:

Log Name: Application
        Source: Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection
        Date: 10/05/2011 10:32:36
        Event ID: 502
        Task Category: None
        Level: Error
        Keywords:
        User: QUEENSBRIDGE\05esatchell
        Computer: library-09.QUEENSBRIDGE.PRI
        Description:
        Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Searches" to "\\marge\docsstudents$\05esatchell\Searches".
        Redirection options=0x1009.
        The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "\\marge\docsstudents$\05esatchell\Searches"".
        Error details: "Access is denied.
        ".
        Event Xml:
        <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
        <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection" Guid="{7D7B0C39-93F6-4100-BD96-4DDA859652C5}" />
        <EventID>502</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-05-10T09:32:36.026356400Z" />
        <EventRecordID>36263</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation ActivityID="{6EC85C25-8CAB-4E7C-B7EB-1F1C0A22B77C}" />
        <Execution ProcessID="904" ThreadID="3320" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>library-09.QUEENSBRIDGE.PRI</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-2758892264-683458706-1113058795-2707" />
        </System>
        <EventData Name="EVENT_FDEPLOY_FailedToApplyPolicy">
        <Data Name="FromFolder">Searches</Data>
        <Data Name="ToFolder">\\marge\docsstudents$\05esatchell\ Searches</Data>
        <Data Name="Options">0x1009</Data>
        <Data Name="Error">Can not create folder "\\marge\docsstudents$\05esatchell\Searches"</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorDetails">Access is denied.
        </Data>
        </EventData>
        </Event>

but when I try with a different user (e.g. administrator) it says folder redirection policy applied successfully

and get the message in the event log

Log Name: Application
        Source: Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection
        Date: 10/05/2011 10:48:12
        Event ID: 501
        Task Category: None
        Level: Information
        Keywords:
        User: QUEENSBRIDGE\administrator
        Computer: library-09.QUEENSBRIDGE.PRI
        Description:
        Successfully applied policy and redirected folder "Contacts" to "\\marge\docsadmin$\administrator\Contacts".
        Redirection options=0x1009.
        Event Xml:
        <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
        <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection" Guid="{7D7B0C39-93F6-4100-BD96-4DDA859652C5}" />
        <EventID>501</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-05-10T09:48:12.212912400Z" />
        <EventRecordID>36417</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation ActivityID="{164A3110-E0AE-49E5-91F3-A3158F12F16B}" />
        <Execution ProcessID="900" ThreadID="6092" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>library-09.QUEENSBRIDGE.PRI</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-2758892264-683458706-1113058795-500" />
        </System>
        <EventData Name="EVENT_FDEPLOY_SucceededToApplyPolicy">
        <Data Name="FromFolder">Contacts</Data>
        <Data Name="ToFolder">\\marge\docsadmin$\administrator\C ontacts</Data>
        <Data Name="Options">0x1009</Data>
        </EventData>
        </Event>

I am confused why it doesnt work on this particular machine but if I go to other machines it works fine. The same GPOs are applying on all these sets of machines....

Comment

I'd double check the permissions on 05esatchell's folders just to be sure - I can see an access-denied on there.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi

This is what i dont understand, if the user logs into another machine the problem doesnt exist and folder redirection works fine.

I have just reimaged the machine using our Windows 7 WDS image and now the machine is working fine.

Seems like a machine specific issue but would love to know exactly what caused this problem as this issue is having an issue on another machine in the school and would rather find a quick fix rather than a reimage.

If anyone has any clues please give me a shout.

Thanks

Comment

I had this issue once at a school. For some bizarre reason the server decided it didn't like to communicate with particular IP addresses properly and the redirections were all given access denied messages.

It took me ages to figure it out and the only way I could get past it was to exclude that IP address from allocation in the DHCP pool.

Are all the machines in the same OU with the same group policies targetted at them?

Are you seeing any matching errors in the event viewer (app, system or security) when these occur?

Comment

Working...
              X