Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Roaming Profile Mirgation NTUSER.DAT

Hello Everyone.

I have read serveral threads about this problem, but no joy, here is the scenario, SBS2003 & Win XP using roaming profiles, I would like to replace the Win XP pc's with Windows 7(with windows 7 using roaming profiles).

I understand the situation of .V2 profiles compared to V1, but have a problem with he NTUSER.DAT file.

If I login in a user onto Windows 7 with a roaming profile, the roaming profile path gets created on the server "SERVERNAME\PROFILES\%USERNAME.V2%
    From this point I can now copy the Desktop, Favourites, My Documents etc. to the new location, BUT CAN I COPY THE USER.DAT FILE AS WELL?

I don't know whether the WINXP NTUSER.DAT file is compatible IN WINDOWS 7.

I have tried using the Easy Transfer tool but this failed to copy/migrate my program setting which are stored in the user part of the registry.

Any comments, fixes, tools to assist would be greatfully accepted, as I have more and more of this situation comming up in the future.

King Regards
    Mark Jones

Re: Windows 7 Roaming Profile Mirgation NTUSER.DAT

The ntuser.dat file is not compatible between XP and Win 7. I manually copied over the folders when I moved from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 with roaming profiles. Then I used Folder Redirection which eliminated the need for roaming profiles.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Hi
      Thanks for you reply.

What did you do about the setting stored in the registry under HKey\Currrent_User?

I believe the setting I'm interested in are loaded from NTUSER.DAT at logon.

We have program settings for SQL + other application stored in the registry(HKey\Currnet_User\Software), which in xp to xp migrations was loaded via roaming profiles without any user input.

Kind Regards
      Mark Jones
      Last edited by MarkJones; 6th May 2011, 16:54. Reason: Spelling Mistake

Comment

You can use User State Migration Tool - USMT 4.0 and customize it to migrate your application settings:
        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...93(WS.10).aspx

If you do not have your application settings in too many registry branches, you could export it?

Comment

There isn't anything you can do to make the WinXP ntuser.dat compatible with Win7. It isn't compatible. You can't manually trick Windows out to make it work. You'll have to use some kind of user profile migration tool.

Comment

I created new profiles and copied over the folders from the old profile. I didn't do anything with HKey\Currrent_User.
            Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

You can save some manual work if you set the folder redirection policies before you do the migration however Mark is talking about some user/application specific settings in the registry which you (RobW) didn't have to consider.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your replies, why or why did Microsoft change this!!!!!!!

Replacing an XP pc with another XP(newer/better hardware) was so easy!

Will have a look into "User State Migration Tool" .......................this looks nasty.

Thanks Again.
                Regards
                Mark

Comment

Things change because maintaining backwards compatibility leads to lots of extra work, testing - basically bloat. There comes a point when you have to call it quits and separate your more recent implementations.

Think of it this way, everytime that Microsoft changes something gives us another reason to have our jobs

Comment

Originally posted by MarkJones View Post
                    Hi

Thanks for your replies, why or why did Microsoft change this!!!!!!!

Replacing an XP pc with another XP(newer/better hardware) was so easy!

Will have a look into "User State Migration Tool" .......................this looks nasty.

Thanks Again.
                    Regards
                    Mark
                    Yes. Why, Oh Why, did Microsoft every change anything?

not only user state migration tool, but also a tool called EasyTransfer (I think it's called)
                    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-easy-transfer
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                    X