No announcement yet.

IPTables-like for windows 7 ?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPTables-like for windows 7 ?

I'm running small database server on windows 7 home premium (only serve 5-6 workstations), but I would like to enhance the security and limit the access to this machine to only these 5-6 workstations. Unfortunately this database program does not support Linux OS, so I'm looking for a solution for Windows.

Because its a very small and not important server I can't purchase hardware firewall/new computer to connect before the server, I need software solution, and as cheap as possible.

I tried to play a little bit with Windows Firewall but I couldn't make it work like I want.

Many thanks,

Re: IPTables-like for windows 7 ?

Try Cygwin. It's a Unix/Linux emulator for windows. You may be able to run IPtables through that. Alternatively port it to Linux and run through WINE

Investigate IPSec -- allows filtering/blocking of packets based on numerous criteria
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Windows Firewall should be able to do what you need. And, being part of the OS, it will not cost you a dime more.
        What do you mean by
        I couldn't make it work like I want.
        ? What did you do and it did not work?
        What exactly do you need to accomplish? Open the specific ports on the database server only to those 5-6 client stations? Encrypt the communications between the database server and the stations? Accept only encrypted sessions to the database server, and only from those clients?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.