HP Printer software install Win 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Printer software install Win 7

I have an HP F4240 all in one. I have the vendor software CD. When trying to install, I get a message which says 'HP Installer Setup has stopped working'. The window displaying this message has an option to check online for a solution, but it just terminates. I talked to HP support, they told me it is a settings problem. Acer wants $100 to talk to me, even this is on a new Acer Laptop. I am runnung Win 7 on the new C-50 chip. The specific feature I need from the 'HP Solution Center' software is the 'scan to pdf' function.

Re: HP Printer software install Win 7

Originally posted by jturner View Post
    I talked to HP support, they told me it is a settings problem
    Did they expand on that? If not, talk to them again.

Don't use an old version on the CD, use the latest version from their website.

Unless you have specific advice from HP that this is a Windows problem, it's not up to Acer to support this.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

As much as HP make some good printers and MFDs, their driver software is awful. Biblically awful. Most of them will not install using Run As or with UAC turned on, and they don't provide basic driver packages for installing network printer drivers onto servers either.

As gforce says, get the latest driver software from HP's website. It's not uncommon, even now, for the CDs not to have Windows 7 compatible drivers on them.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Specifically with Acer machines we have had all sorts of issues by the "Acer Empowering Framework" that is installed. It does things like make the SBS connect wizard fail part way through and others that I can't remember.

Try uninstalling that and all the other stuff Acer put on. You can always redownload it later if you really want to.

Of course that won't be needed if the latest drivers from the website work but its a fall back thing to test.

Comment

What is the 'Acer Empowering Network'? I've found Acer Registration, Screensaver, Updater, ePower/eRecovery Mgt. Then there are 'clear.fi client'. identity card, launch manager and welcome center, all showing Acer as the publisher. I am guessing maybe the 'Empowering Network' is one or a combination of some of these.

I have used both downloaded software and a CD that I just ordered from HP last week with Win 7 software. I've also applied all the MS updates for Win 7.

Comment

It isn't the "Acer Empowering Network", you won't find it if you're looking for that. You will see a number of applications from Acer, but I have found that uninstalling either the "Acer Empowering Technologies" or "Acer Empowering Framework" also uninstalls all the applications that rely on it. This includes all the useless security and epower stuff.

Are you trying to use the device purely as a printer or make use of the AOI functions too? If just as a printer you could possibly find the drivers on the CD and install them manually instead of installing all of the HP software.

cruachan already suggested turning off UAC - can you confirm if you tried that?

Comment

Once I figured out what UAC is, I turned it off, rebooted and the printer install blew again.

Comment

Once I figured out what UAC is, I turned it off, rebooted and the printer install blew again.
                What does "blew again" mean?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Did you try running it as an administrator?

Did you download this driver?
                  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...s=4062&lang=en

Try disabling your firewall when installing. That might give some trouble too.

Comment

Don't try and install the win7 driver, but instead use the winxp drivers. This worked for me.

You can also check this link out and try this route of the xp driver don't work:
                    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer...s-7/td-p/20786

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      What does "blew again" mean?
                      I know right...wtf!

Comment

It ended with the same message again. It ab-ended.

Comment

Originally posted by Joachim View Post
                          Did you try running it as an administrator?

Did you download this driver?

Try disabling your firewall when installing. That might give some trouble too.

I am running it as admin, I have both the downloaded and cd versions of that driver package (both run with the same result) and I have the firewall disabled.
                          Last edited by biggles77; 9th May 2011, 00:54. Reason: Fix broken quote

Comment

Originally posted by Mudd View Post
                            Don't try and install the win7 driver, but instead use the winxp drivers. This worked for me.

I'm not real sure how to swap drivers. I've got a couple of XP machines with current software on them.

Comment

I'm not real sure how to swap drivers. I've got a couple of XP machines with current software on them.
                              Have you tried going to the HP site and downloading the specific driver for your model but for Windows XP?

If you did manage to get as far a setting up a printer port then you can go into that printers properties>Advanced>then change/swap the driver there.

Comment

Working...
                              X