Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumped

Hello guys,

Yesterday we had a sudden strange occurrance on our domain/network that would not allow all of our windows 7 and windows 2008 server access our windows 2003 exchange server. I think the win7/2008 machines could not connect to any winxp/2003 machines, but I did not test the xp, but only the 2003 server since we needed to get that up and running quick.

After banging our heads for about two and half hours the other admin I work with said that he'd found the problem and it was related to the wireless access point. Keep in mind that none of the windows7 machines use the wireless network at all. Maybe someone out there may know how this is related, but as for me, I'm stumped on how this relates to the win7/2008 machines not being able to connect or even ping the win2003 exchange server.

Can someone please enlighten me on this because I'm finding it hard to believe that was the issue?

Re: Stumped

Installed perhaps any microsoft updates or IE 9, the last 48 hours on those Win7/2008 computers?

Who uses the wireless network then.
    Does the Win7 clients have a WL-interface? Is there a WL-router with DHCP?

/Rems
    Last edited by Rems; 29th April 2011, 12:44.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Originally posted by Rems View Post
      Installed perhaps any microsoft updates or IE 9, the last 48 hours on those Win7/2008 computers?

Who uses the wireless network then.
      Does the Win7 clients have a WL-interface? Is there a WL-router with DHCP?

/Rems
      We are using WSUS and I didn't approve any updates or IE9. The wireless is for visitors and/or users who don't normally work at that office who may have a laptop who need access to the internet, and for mobile device users only. The win7 machines do not have a WL-interface and the WL routers do not have DHCP enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudd View Post
        he'd found the problem and it was related to the wireless access point
        How exactly did he find out that the problem is related to the WLAP(s)?

Is the wireless network not a different network than the subnets where servers and clients are connected to? Is the domain accessable from the wireless network - how? Can you show the network diagram.

/Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

If none of the Win7 systems use the WLAP then that can't be the cause. WLAP's should just be acting as an access point and don't do any routing.

What errors were you getting? If you couldn't ping then it is a network issue however I fail to see how a WLAP can effect a wired system. Would love to hear more about this.

Also, has the problem been resolved or are you still down?

Comment

Originally posted by Rems View Post
            How exactly did he find out that the problem is related to the WLAP(s)?

Is the wireless network not a different network than the subnets where servers and clients are connected to? Is the domain accessable from the wireless network - how? Can you show the network diagram.

/Rems
            He said when researching he came across an article that stated someone's Cisco router caused this issue.

The WAP is not on a different subnet and has a local static IP and is connected to one of our network switches. The domain is accessible from our wireless access points.

Basically the WAP is connected to one of our switches by ethernet cable and has a static IP assigned to it.

I can't accept the fact that the WAP is the cause of this issue because the WAP and the Win7 clients have been on the network for around 4-3 months if not longer.

Comment

Originally posted by falbanese View Post
              If none of the Win7 systems use the WLAP then that can't be the cause. WLAP's should just be acting as an access point and don't do any routing.

What errors were you getting? If you couldn't ping then it is a network issue however I fail to see how a WLAP can effect a wired system. Would love to hear more about this.

Also, has the problem been resolved or are you still down?
              Thank you I agree totally, but this guy just keeps coming up with these types of excuses that make no sense to me.

The only errors we were getting was that Microsoft Outlook was not connecting to the mail server. After which we discovered we coun't ping by name or IP the mail server. This only affected the Win7 and Win 2008 machines and maybe a Vista but I'm not 100% sure on the Vista.

The problem has been resolved and my coworker stated that it was the WAP that the cause of the problem.

Thanks for inquiring.

Comment

The whole thing sounds flaky. Did this sysadmin explain his reasoning or how he cam to that conclusion or provide evidence to support his answer?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                  The whole thing sounds flaky. Did this sysadmin explain his reasoning or how he cam to that conclusion or provide evidence to support his answer?
                  No, the thing with this guy is, he is always hinting that when ever there is an issue with a PC or something on our network, he always points to the systems, or configurations I've setup.

It's always, "is it viruses", is it permissions issue", or "did you setup a GPO?"

Never does he have any factual proof, just speculation. I'm getting tired of this! About time I start seriously looking for another gig.

I've got an email all written up stating that if he, or this guy, keeps blaming me with no factual proof, I'm moving on!

I vote for Flaky as being the reason too!

Case closed!

Comment

I hear you. I've been in a similar position. Good luck and hang in there.

Comment

Working...
                    X