easy way to change computer order in rdp 6 snapin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easy way to change computer order in rdp 6 snapin

Each time I add a new computer to RDP it goes to the bottom of the list. Is there a way to edit something so I can have the computer appear where I want it in the list?

Thanks!

Re: easy way to change computer order in rdp 6 snapin

What are you referring to when you say "rdp 6 snapin"?

Do you mean a snapin for MMC?

Please confirm that you are running this snapin on Windows 7, since I can't help feeling that you're talking about something on Windows Server...
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I suspect the OP means the Remote Desktops mmc snapin -- I've noticed the same problem.
      There is an XML file somewhere behind it, so some editing should re-order the computers the way they want to
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

or just save each one as an icon. I've got 42 separate RDP icons, in logical folders, and I can get quick access to each of them. No need to remember the IPs or choose from the dropdown.

Jim

Comment

Yeah...the MMC snapin. I am running it on a Windows 7 PC and use it to RDP to all my servers, which all show up on the left. The file it uses is tsmmc.mmc. You can open it in notepad but I can't find anything in there about a sort order.

Jim, I don't want a seperate icon for each computer. I like this because they are all listed on the left and I have quick access from one to another by a click.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

The sort order is the XML nodes in the file so editing them should change the order
            Alternatively try something like this: http://www.bestfreewaredownload.com/...-gijomfbn.html
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by pcsdps View Post
              Each time I add a new computer to RDP it goes to the bottom of the list. Is there a way to edit something so I can have the computer appear where I want it in the list?

Thanks!
              You can change the order of computers in the user's registry in this key,
              HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Default

additionally
              The last Remote Desktop session settings are saved in the file Default.rdp.The default location of this hidden file is the Mydocuments folder. In that file you can find the name of the last opened computer, and that'll be the computer that is selected in the the list when you start mstsc.exe
              Default.rdp is a text-format file which you can edit notepad.

EDIT
              Originally posted by pcsdps View Post
              Yeah...the MMC snapin..
              Sorry my answer above was for mstsc.exe.

Some snap-ins are saving some configuration in a file (xml format) in the folder %AppData%\Microsoft\MMC
              The configuration of the computers added in remoteDesktops are saved in the tsmmc.msc file itself. You can open this file with notepad because it is xml, but you're not able to read the configurations of the computers added unfortunately.

/Rems
              Last edited by Rems; 8th April 2011, 20:35.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
              and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
              X